1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waiting for that new career...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Well-played, Clevelander.

Back to the topic, I started looking in March 2007 and finally bailed last fall. So a little more than a year-and-a-half after I saw the writing on the wall, I managed to leave the biz. No one said it would be easy.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So exactly what sort of jobs outside of media are you transitioning into?

I want to do the same thing, but when you've worked almost exclusively in media (print, broadcast, SID stuff, etc.) since university, it seems like options are limited. I don't want to do retail --- no offence to anyone who happens to be in that area --- and I ain't exactly qualified to be a brain surgeon, ya know.

What other areas have you had success in? How did you customize your resume? What did you do to make the transition?

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If things deterorate any further in my current situation:

Option 1) Go to law school.

Option 2) Find a writing-related business role.

Option 3) Call a friend of mine, say "We're moving to L.A." and bus tables for les than minimum wage while we work on a screenplay.

None are feasable. All are worth a shot.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Do like I did and get one uh dem gubument jobs.

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I'm gonna repost what I just posted in the "getting out of the business thread", hopefully to generate a few more hits as I'm getting nervous.

Here's a question... I graduated in June, got my first gig and got downsized. Now what the hell do I do? Besides being a waiter at a restaurant or being a receptionist, most of the stuff I'm looking at (outside of newspapers), I'm not qualified to do. I've got another week of work and then I'm not doing anything.

I've worked too damn hard to go make sandwiches at Subway, but I really don't have 2-3 years of copywriting experience or something like that. Help! Sad

6. NDub

NDub Guest

I figured out I wanted out in about October. Started piecing together my resume/cover letter and exploring other career options (administrative/clerical, PR, marketing, paralegal, sports info.) throughout November. Come early December I started shooting the resume/cover letter out there and have applied for about 20-25 jobs.

I'm looking at these career fields because my skills (our skills) translate. Administrative is basically an office job where you're not really a receptionist or secretary but you keep the office running - you do reports and presentations, you oversee information, maybe some expense/payroll stuff, etc. Basically we use our organization, research and multi-tasking skills.

I think PR and marketing and sports information speak for themselves.

Paralegal stuff is basically an assistant to a lawyer. You help put together cases with research, writing, interviewing, etc. There's a more detailed explanation in the "getting out of the business thread."

7. Go State

Go State Member

I got out of the business full-time about two years ago now. I decided to do freelance work and cover sports for out-of-town papers for the local colleges just to scratch the itch and make a few extra bucks. I have had a lot of luck doing sales. Being a reporter and building relationships and sources, I knew I would be comfortable talking to people. Once I explained that in the interview, they ate it up. I also used my journalism experience and background to get a media advertising sales job, which is the best job I've ever had. My advice? If you're comfortable talking to people, have an outgoing personality, look into sales. You can make some good money and have some fun doing it.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I talked with my brother tonight. He's an attorney and we talked about law school, which I have been mulling. Did his best to discourage me. At best, I'd be 45 years old at the start line with thousands in debt and no guarantee I'd get a job, much less like it.

Paralegal presents a more realistic option perhaps, doing interviews and research, which are things I'm actually good at.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Has anyone considered careers in sports administration? Scouting, front office, media relations, etc.

We all (presumably) know something about sports and how the business side works, even if we don't have an MBA. Wonder if that would be a reasonable move to make?

10. NDub

NDub Guest

Mark,

I thought about some front office work - definitely media relations. I took a few basic sports ad. classes and it seems like an interesting field. The problem I see with that is relocating as the sports teams are usually in upper-medium to large markets.

And as far as paralegal goes, I know there are different types of lawyers you can work with - copyright, real estate, injury, etc. And I've read that some require a certificate, which basically means you'll have to take some classes at the local/community college. But it's far cheaper than law school.

Go State - Am I reading it right that you have a media advertising sales job? Is there any concern on your part about the future of that industry, as it seems advertisers have really pulled out especially in newspapers these past few years.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you have a degree, think about teaching.
    If you are a recently laid off reporter, chances are good that the local school districts know you and your situation. See if you can subsitute teach for the short term and check you state's regulations to see if you need a teaching degree to be licensed, or if you just need a degree.
    Most states have some sort of emergency exceptions, so you might be to able to get a teaching gig even without a degree, assuming you have a large chunk of professional experierence.
    Most places will let you sub, if you have some college.
    Subbing isn't a permanent gig. Places around my parts pay around $75 a day, and more if it is a last-minute deal.
    Also look at going back to school and pursuing a career in health care. You can be in and out of EMT school in six months, and working for an ambulance service while you work on your paramedic license. You could also look at being a fireman or a responder for the state, county or city version of FEMA. Depending on your age.
    Jill Carroll, the once held hostage reporter for the CS Monitor, is now in firefighting school in Virginia. So don't scoff.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

This guy says you should be sending out 20-25 covers a week.

http://www.knockemdead.com/

And if you're worried about relocating, gotta go where the jobs are.

Draft saved Draft deleted