1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waiting for that new career...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Jan 9, 2009.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

How many of you have decided to get out of the profession and have applied/are applying for jobs in a new career field? More importantly, how long have you been doing this? Weeks? Months? Several months? Are you getting interviews/responses? Or do you feel like you're running in place, especially given the job market.

And for those you of who've left the business (many of you have already shared your stories) - how long did it take you do find that other job?

I started applying for other jobs about a month ago and have gotten some feedback but no official interviews. I definitely haven't lost faith but I'm starting to get anxious. This is my first real search for a full-time job and with it being outside of the only field I've known (just one F-T year at a paper), I'm learning a lot of new things.

So, yeah, just talk about how your job search is going...

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What's your new field?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A couple nibbles but I threw them back.

It's tough out there.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If I ever get out of this field, and I think it's clear we all need to start looking and/or examining going back to school, I will never read another newspaper myself out of spite and hatred for managing editors/publishers who brought this upon us unnecesarily because of giving up on the product. Who the fuck is going to buy a newspaper when all of them are pieces of shit size wise and content wise to what they were 5-10 years ago?

5. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

That didn't take long.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It will all work out with better design-based sections...

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Got out of the newspaper business in late summer 2007 for personal reasons. Suffice it to say, I was really lucky to get out then. I made the switch to advertising...we're suffering now, too, but certainly nowhere near what's going on in the news biz. There still remains hope in the ad biz about weathering the storm; obviously we'll see. Best of luck.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I started putting out resumes in July for non-journo jobs. Got a couple calls and two in-person interviews before I finally hit the jackpot.

There for a while, it seemed like I was running in place, but you just have to be patient.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yep. And be willing to chase after supposed dead ends.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. Follow up with an e-mail shortly after applying and stick with it. Don't get discouraged, even though it's very easy to do so. Be persistent.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm still at the paper. I've sent my resume/cover letter out to about 20-25 places. Got some bites like a few of you but nothing formal. It just seems every week goes by and it gets just a little worse in the paper biz. I haven't been in the profession for years like some of you, but damn, just one year and in these times and I'm so ready to move on. I know there's been some interest because a few of my references have been contacted. But I have not for a formal interview.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You've got me dyeing with laughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted