1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait ... That was racist?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 17, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What's wrong with that? Looks like you want work at Taco Bell.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Of Waverly's 4,444 people, 4,312 were white, according to 2010 census data."

I am concerned. How will the town deal with 132 serial adulterers and domestic abusers?

3. zagoshe

You forgot to put that little dot on his head.....

4. zagoshe

What the hell are you talking about?

I thought the people of the Orient/Asia/China are no longer to be referred to as Asian as the Politically Correct among us have claimed that Asian is a derogatory term with negative stereotypes.

So if it isn't Oriental and/or Asian - what is the proper term for people from that region now? I honestly can't keep track.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They mostly prefer Bob, Susan, Joe or Teresa.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here's the fundamental question, why are YOU making fun at SOMEONE ELSE's expense? Why not make fun of yourself?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its Asian. End of discussion. No one ever said Asian was derogatory.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Being mean is funny.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My God, man.

Is there no end to your stupidity?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember being stunned at the uproar there was when one of the Houston announcers referred to Yao Ming as "The Chinaman"

I can see someone pulling him aside and explaining to him why that might not be the best word to use, but everybody was acting like the guy said the N-word. That was one where I really felt sorry for the guy, because he clearly had no idea...

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Curious: If depicting a certain former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver, which coloration should one apply?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Would like to remind you all that not only is the chinaman not the issue here, the preferred nomenclature is "Asian-American."

Draft saved Draft deleted