1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait ... That was racist?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 17, 2012.

1. http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/16/us/new-york-blackface-skit/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Students in blackface reenacting Chris Brown beating of Rihanna fail to see anything wrong with the skit.
    Part of the explanation? No one raised any eyebrows when they reenacted the Tiger Woods golf club beating the year before.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When I was about 7, I dressed up as Stevie Wonder for Halloween. With black face.

I was horrified to see the photo recently.

I was even more horrified that, to this day, my mother could not fathom that this was inappropriate or racist.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm more horrified that a 7 year old would want to dress up as Steve Wonder. Weird.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Also has no idea she's a racist:

http://beforeandafro.com/2012/10/12/frod-chicken/

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Nope. This happened in New York. Racist things only happen in the south.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

A buddy of mine did the same thing with Doc Gooden in the mid-1980s...the movie Soul Man brought out the worst in kids of that era.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It wasn't racist, you were dressing up as an American music star whose face happens to be black. Just like it would not have been racist is, say he was an oriental singer, you made your face yellow in tone or an American Indian singer, you made your face red in tone.

It was a costume, nothing more, nothing less.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Oriental?

9. zagoshe

Persons from the Orient. That is the politically correct term these days for those people or has it changed?

I can't keep up.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Beyond the racism, I wonder who thought a sketch about beating women would be high-larious. Did Seth MacFarlane write this?

11. zagoshe

That is actually a very good point

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I remember my friend's mother dressing him as a "Chinaman" for Halloween complete with a nylon on his head to approximate slanted eyes. I somehow doubt this would happen today.

Draft saved Draft deleted