1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Wait, that was racist?' Halloween edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"It was just a Halloween decoration," alone, is not a good argument against this. It's how people justify racist or sexist actions or comments all the time: "Can't you take a joke?"

That said ...

In this particular case, it seems like the imagery was meant to invoke suicide, not lynching, right?

Like someone said: The potential problem was pointed out to them. They took it down. Everyone can go home happy.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed...

I don't think they did anything wrong. But it is Berkeley, where the greek system has an incredibly volatile relationship with the rest of the student body and the locals and has for decades.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I attended an IFC conference when I was in college and they showed us some of the "theme parties" that had gotten fraternities in trouble from around the country.

There was some stuff there that would have caused anyone's jaw to drop.

There have definitely been tons of things that are worth getting worked up over... This deal at Cal is definitely not one of them.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/33677884" width="407" height="229" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Draft saved Draft deleted