1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Wait, that was racist?' Halloween edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 31, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.dailycal.org/2012/10/30/fraternitys-halloween-decoration-prompts-outcry/

UC Berkeley frat hosts haunted house for charity. Decorations include zombie hanging from third story by a rope attached to his neck. Zombie's head was "dark grey." Imagery of lynching not seen as all too hilarious on college campus.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe none of the frat boys have taken a history class yet.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm guessing this was some sort of stuffed dummy they hung. Ok, seen that 100 times.

Not a big fan of Halloween, but that's political correctness run amok.

On a not-so-related topic, I just had a gradeschooler come to my door dressed as a Wheaties box with a hockey mask sprinkled with red paint. After a few guesses, I was informed: "Cereal killer"

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm voting not racist on this one.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Outcry from people looking for something to outcry about.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't think it was intentionally racist at all. Still, you can't hang a dark-skinned body as a decoration. You just can't. Too loaded with ugly historical meaning.

On a college campus -- and particularly THAT campus -- something like this is going to get blown out of proportion. The problem was pointed out to them and they took it down, which is how it should work.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Except is wasn't a problem - or it shouldn't have been. It was a fucking Halloween decoration.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

When they came for the dark grey zombies, nobody was left to speak up.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

People need to stick a finger in it and get a fucking life. QUIT BITCHING! It's a damn Halloween decoration.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They spoke up but all they said was "uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh"

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF, how stupid are those frat bros? I mean really, that's got to be the dumbest thing I've seen this Halloween. Friggin' morons.

Everybody knows hanging a zombie won't kill it.

12. When I burned that cross on a lawn, that wasn't designed to intimidate people, but honor the Lord.

Draft saved Draft deleted