1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait, some coaches do ask for our advice!?!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 30, 2009.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

If a coach is asking me, I doubt he makes it another season.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ok, I guess I read the OP a little differently. I didn't see it as the coach asking the reporter to do his job for him.

But, quite often there are local kids who, for whatever reason, fly under the radar. We see it every year at just about every school. OK, so maybe this coach isn't in a position to sign the next Parade All-American. But maybe, just maybe, there is a local kid out there who can contribute to the program and would love the chance to play.

Coaches are often overwhelmed during the season and aren't able to follow everything that happens at the high school level. I'm just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Coach might be looking for a preferred walk-on or a kid who can he recruit to be a team manager.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

He can ask questions, the coach, but if I'm the final straw in his decision, that probably means he's a terrible coach.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Having covered a pretty big time program for a little while, I know this much: If a coach really doesn't know what's happening at the high school level, they aren't very good at their jobs.

The ones who do it right, in this day and age, have it down to a science. Not only do they know about all the high-school prospects worth knowing about, they know about the top junior high-schoolers coming up.

Draft saved Draft deleted