1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait, some coaches do ask for our advice!?!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Got this e-mail today ...

Finally, I really can cost a kid a scholarship!!!

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

With great power comes great responsibility.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Let him know when he can listen to you if you do that soccer color commentator gig.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of D-III coaches ask me if I thought there were some college level players. I didn't see the harm in giving a few names.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I would do it, too, just because their parents were snotty.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

When he was an assistant at Wisconsin, and before all the success at Platteville and elsewhere, Bo Ryan got VERY chummy with me because I was covering South Beloit (Ill.) High School, and there was a kid there they really wanted. He called me all the time, drank with me, everything.

Kid committed to Illinois. Next time I called Bo Ryan on a basketball matter, he basically had no idea who I was.

And I hold no animosity toward him, because he has been good for hoops at my alma mater. Just noting.

7. sostartled

sostartled Member

Is there a line crossed by discussing players with him? I don't think so, but I'd like to hear opinions of those who think there is.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No, no line crossed. Someone asked for your opinion, you give it to them. Besides, it's not like this stuff isn't out there for anyone to find online or in a newspaper archive at the library.

9. sostartled

sostartled Member

Oh, I didn't mean passing on the all-state teams or whatever. I meant a coach using a reporter as a scout.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

What that tells me is that State U. is going to suck, suck, suck.

When a coach is using the damn newspaper to figure out who he should recruit ... hot damn, he's in over his head.

Be honest: It was Lane Kiffin, wasn't it?

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Inky, was this was a Div. I state school? Because I'm still trying to wrap my head around it even being a low-level DIII team.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted