1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait for it ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Oct 2, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's what surprised me last night. Just about every angle showed he missed the plate. I just don't understand why Bud Black didn't come out of the dugout and protest the call.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No angle showed he missed the plate. Holliday is blocking the view of the plate from one angle and Barrett is blocking the view from the other angle.

The best the replays show you is that Holliday's hand hits Barrett's foot. Where, exactly, Barrett's foot is is not discernible from any replay I have seen.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

I've been saying all day that replay would have done absolutely no good here. I've seen the play probably 50 times, and not once could you overrule the safe call.

4. KYSportsWriter

Well never mind that argument then. Was trying to get the paper done last night when the play happened and have yet to see a replay of it on SC or anywhere today.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

......Rack him. Great interview. [/Rome]

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bingo. Once Barrett's foot comes across, you can't tell if it's in front of the plate or on it.

The call on the field would have stood, so calls for replay are silly.

KY -- On the replay you cannot see him touch the plate, but you really can't tell that he didn't, either.

Without an overhead camera, there's just no way to tell.

Guy with the best look at it took his time and made the call. That's the best anyone can hope out of sports or life, really.

7. KYSportsWriter

Thanks for clearing it up, Zeke. :D

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I like to work in a little philosophy from time to time. :D

It is what it is, you know? Think about it, analyze it...

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Not trying to be an ass ... really asking here.

What could have protesting the call do for the Padres? Nothing, right? Wasted breath?

10. KYSportsWriter

They could've had a do-over. Right?

No?

:D

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's my thing. The purpose of arguing with an umpire in baseball generally is to try to get a call to go your way later in the game (or later in the series.) The Paders ain't playing until April either way.

12. KYSportsWriter

Go Paders!

Oh, wait.

Draft saved Draft deleted