1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait a minute... Slash is black!?!?!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mr. Brownstone was supposedly a shot at Adler for his heroin habit.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that this got to Page 2 before anyone posted a pic of Kordell. My original thoughts upon reading the thread title was to think of Kordell.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ah.
    Seems like Axl is lucky Slash didn't demonstrate some old-school rock guitar moves... by battering him to pieces on the stage and lighting him on fire.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The One In A Million deal was really odd.

I mean, Axl might well be a bigot. But when you listen to the song, it seems pretty clear that the verses are a persona, the persona that the chorus is describing as "One in a million".

But, when so many of your songs appear to be autobiographical, that's the price you pay, I guess.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yep. Same song, first verse.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

God, I loved that guy until he started crying on the sideline and throwing the ball to the other team.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Euphenism? Or no?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If I recall correctly, "One in a Million" was largely taken from Axl's experience as a Lafayette, Indiana kid getting off the bus in Los Angeles. Might say it's his response to the "Welcome to the Jungle" he got when he debarked from said bus.

In any event:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_in_a_Million_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Aw, what the hell ...

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Why not? It worked in Blazing Saddles.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

To answer the question, back in the day when GNR was huge, before the widespread invasion of the interwebs, Slash was coy about his background. Believe it or not, no one really knew what he was in terms of his background.. therefore, if you, like most of the world, lost track of GNR and the various folks in it over the last, oh, 25 years, then, yeah, it could be surprising to find out he's part African or whatever. Once upon a time ago, we couldn't just google folks to find stuff out.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jeez, the guy parks his van in a certain neighborhood one time and the reputation never goes away.

Draft saved Draft deleted