1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wagyu Beef

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jan 3, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So son who asks for literally nothing and spends zippo, mentions for New Years he would like to try wagyu steak sometime. So as a one time extravaganza to ring in 2021 I get a couple of wagyu steaks and cook them up in a cast iron pan; damn it was tasty. Only ate about 4 oz and have the second half for tonight.

Anyone have any experience how best to cook?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The way you just did is pretty damn good - probably the best - but I could see a gourmet bahn mi working.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Season with salt and pepper, let the steaks warm up a bit, sear them on a stovetop in cast iron, and finish in the oven to a rare temp. When I get Omaha or the like, it is the only way I cook steaks.

bigpern23, qtlaw and FileNotFound like this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What temp in oven? 500?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

qtlaw likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My butcher has it in many styles, so I’ve had it as a filet, as a hamburger and as a hotdog; alas, each and every time it’s left me riding the commode all night. So, no more y-yu for me.

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Can I please be a food snob and thank everyone for not calling it Kobe beef, like everyone else does?

The fact that so many of you know what Wagyu is and use the name properly makes this former food editor very happy.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It’s funny that this thread popped up a few days after my wife bought burger meat. I grilled it, and it must have a lot of fat because the burgers shrank quite a bit. It was OK but nothing special.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

In my uneducated opinion, they are overly fatted. (To be fair, they probably say the same about me).

swingline likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wagyu own beef, pal.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted