1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wages up at newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I didn't, since I'm in management after negotiating myself out of the union in the last contract talks. But our entire union staff got a two per cent increase this year, and some got as much as seven per cent on top of that by graduating to the top of the grid.

Of course, we've also lost two and a half positions in the newsroom in that time, with another about to go through attrition next month.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I got married, so there is less money in taxes being taken out of my check. Kind of feels like a nice raise.

But an actual wage increase? Uh, no. Second time in my 26 years in the business there was no raise.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I got a small raise in January with the promise that I'd get a list of goals to reach for over the next six months. If I met the goals, I'd get a duplicate of the original raise.

I've never seen the list of goals.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Here's the nut of the release:
    "According to NICS figures, online positions and graphic artists showed the largest salary gains. Interactive producers received the highest increases in the 13 to 14 percent range. Positions focused on new and alternative business development, such as co-op advertising and alternate distribution, also indicated salary increases in the range of 5 percent.

In addition, most newsroom positions showed salary increases except for editorial page editors and beginning reporters. Experienced reporters received more than a 2 percent salary increase."

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I will make around 15 percent less money than I made last year. A lot of people I know in this business have it just as bad or worse. So this is the phoniest survey on the planet.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I call bullshit.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Is 2.1 percent really something to boast about, considering inflation is usually around 3 percent and health care costs rise at an average of about 15 percent a year? I mean seriously. "Woo! Your salary went up 2 friggin percent!" For someone making $25,000 it breaks down to about $400.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'd love to know what paper paid interactive producers 14 percent more in '09.

Maybe it was 14 percent up from the 2008 base salary of $19,000.

I'm a producer and I lost 3.6 percent this year. Will probably be more by the end of the year.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It is something to boast about... if it were true. If your profession really did improve wages 2.1 percent in a year when the economy contracted somewhere near 40%, that's really is something.

10. times38

times38 Member

the economy only contracted somewhere between 8 and 12 percent.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's a car payment plus a cell phone payment and a week's groceries. I'd gladly take it.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

[​IMG]

"Ooh, ooh, ooh. I know how they could get numbers like that."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted