1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wade Boggs is still the man

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 13, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I can drink a shit-ton of beer on a day off if I get going early, but anything more than a case is pushing it. And we're talking over about a 12- to 14-hour span. No way in hell he can drink more than 30 beers on a flight. I think Charlie Day said on Fallon that Boggs claimed 107 or some shit. Riiiiiight. And surely some of you saw the Always Sunny episode a couple of weeks ago? "I can't stop drinking now. I'll probably die."

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A case in Ontario is a 24, or a two-four, a 12 is a 12.

And I believe the story that Andre the Giant drank 120+ beers in one night (as mentioned in SI's rassling cover story years ago) over a claim that Boggs drank that much.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I remember that SI story. I recall that the reporter stated that Andre could wrap his hand around a beer can, and you couldn't see any of the can. That's some big hands.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I remembered that after I posted in BC we call a dozen a case.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

None of those Boggs claims is remotely true. The key to volume drinking is time. Humans can't drink a lot and do it quickly.

6. Wade Boggs ain't human. He's a machine.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

As cranberry alluded to, Wade Boggs appears to be a maturity-challenged goofball.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They didn't just say that, they had a photo of it, as I recall.

9. Vombatus

I think you are right, come to think of it.

I saw Andre at a bar at an Orlando hotel back in the late 80s or early 90s (I forget). He had a handler with him who was very short. I mean, pushing four feet, not five. Seemed like a midget sitting next to Andre. The scene was very comical to me. Too bad I didn't have a smartphone to snap a picture of them at the time.

I will admit, I was afraid to say hi. Wanted to, but was afraid the near midget would kick my ass. The handler looked like he was packing a gun too, or was the type that might.

10. Vombatus

I should have looked through google images to begin with. You are exactly right, da man!

[​IMG]

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, he's drinking a Molson, eh? Beauty!

Draft saved Draft deleted