1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waco paper calls out other papers in Baylor blog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Notepad

Notepad Member

I heard Russ Grimm was getting the job.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'll say it again: I'm not a big fan of blogs.
    Why not let the message board posters debate the issues of the day with their anonymous "voices" and wait for the daily news to come out.
    I know, we then have the problem of the ubiquitous ESPN-type shows which serve up "instant news".
    But aren't most of them simply getting their info from blogs and message boards? Or from various newspaper websites which post the same MacNews bites throughout the day?

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've got no problem with the use of blogs. Used correctly, they can be an informative and informational beat tool.

I have a problem with the misuse of blogs.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, to quote an old cliche.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Between this, Gundy, the Fran stuff ... damn, it seems like the Big XII is the most interesting conference to cover.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

If only its overall quality of play were as interesting ...

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Wow ... what a horrendous blog.

Yuck.

He makes some great points ... but yuck.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Three teams in the BCS Top 5. But otherwise, you're dead on Editude.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The big problem I have with this is that w/ this "Be first, not necessarily right" approach to journalism, no one is calling out the people are being allowed to run single-source, unnamed stories just on the off chance they will be right.
    When the story turns out to be false, it's just sort of assumed. I'm not a big fan of having to call out someone else covering your beat (and I've had to do it before via these same methods), but I'm more of the belief that someone has to do it.
    Distrust is growing, and it's because being right has become less important.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Baylor's writer shouldn't have gone there. I know it's tempting, but just don't do it.

10. Hammer Pants

One of my competitors comes from a good-sized paper, and their writers use anonymous sources all the damn time — and not just for super-important stuff — and it irritates the holy hell out of me. But I can't use them, so why bitch about it? All you can do is go find someone on the record and know that you can always point the finger at a source if the information is wrong.

They can't, and when they fuck up, everyone else laughs at them. It's great.

I shouldn't say I can't use anonymous sources ever. But I've been able to like three times in the past five years, and it needed eight milllion levels of clearance.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It's not about just being able to use anonymous sources -- often there's a use for them.
    But I believe being able to use them is extending beyond the necessity. Because of that, there are reporters who throw shit against a wall to see if it sticks. Why shouldn't they be called out then it's not accurate?

12. Hammer Pants

They should be called out. If you use an anonymous source, and you're wrong, you've really screwed yourself, and you've damaged your credibility.

If I had an anonymous source intentionally screw me over, I wouldn't be able to trust them ever again, so I would seriously think about running their name.

And I don't mind anonymous sources in some instances. They can be extremely helpful, especially when you've got a consistently solid one that you and your boss know you can trust. I just can't use them unless it's an emergency.

Draft saved Draft deleted