1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

W2s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I pay a CPA a small fortune to do my taxes and I consider it the best money I spend all year.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Turbo Tax is brilliant. For those of us who freelance, it always reminds you of the things you can deduct that you might have forgotten.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Use TurboTax for your federal, then print the federal form - and with your W-2(s) and any 1099s, go to your state website and find their forms. Most will probably encourage you to e-file for free there.

Already done and processing here. 8)

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used H&R Block for several years, and I kept having to pay money back to the government, even after I had a kid and bought a house. I couldn't figure out why, so I went to a local accountant. Using the same numbers, she got me thousands in a refund, rather than paying hundreds back.

I haven't used H&R Block since.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Share.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've done Turbo Tax the last two years. I really dig it. But I want to see if I can write a bunch of stuff off, so I'll be calling the Block this week.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Or live in a state where you don't have a state income tax. ;)

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good to see you read before you post.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The gov is mandated to provide a number of online services for free, and if you're uncomplicated it's easy. I've used taxactonline for years.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

OK....second phone, cell phone and charges, long distance chrages on your phone, wireless access, voice mail, call waiting, modems, wireless routers, fax line for business, ringtones for business, obviously supplies of all sort like flash drives and printer ink, shipping stuff if you ship, calendars and planners....

It's pretty straightforward, but hard to remember all at once

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm not saying that this is what happened at all, but I had about 20 friends hire a local CPA to do their taxes year before. They all got huge refunds.

All great until they all got audited. All. Of. Them. They ended up owing big time. Turns out the guy used all sorts of illegal deductions. And then split. They can't find him.

Make sure you hire a reputable CPA.

Draft saved Draft deleted