1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

W.Va High School football chaos

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You let me know how this turns out, OK?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Pennsylvania as well.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Uhm, when the ref orders a player to leave the field, it's called "ejection."

2. Uhm, the refs need to read their rule books. There is a penalty short of ejection designed to get players to desist unsportsmanlike conduct in the "heat of battle"; it's called a 15-yard penalty. If that doesn't get the player to quit, the next step is ejection.

Probably 90% of on-field brawls/free-for-alls are the result of refs using "judgment," "warnings," "latitude" and "discretion" in calling penalties which are clearly defined in the rule book. (See also hand-checking, hip-checking, and elbowing in basketball.)

Sending a screw-loose hothead player swinging fists to the sidelines for a few plays to cool off is wonderful and saves him an embarrassing and costly ejection, but in effect it penalizes the 21 other players on the field not swinging their fists.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood me. He had to physically get off the field. Most ejections I've seen, the player is banished to the locker room/bus/as far out of sight as possible. He was sent to the bench.
    I like when officials take some discretion. I don't like it when high school officials forget they are supposed to help the teaching process and start taking the game in their own hands.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably the most important step in the "teaching process" should be "follow the rules."

If the rules say you can't punch guys (under penalty of ejection), don't do it.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Exactly.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

So what did the TV stations do? And were the brawls mentioned in the papers?

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

They showed the brawls on TV. They were talked about in the papers. They were even spoofed in the Providence Newspaper Guild Follies.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Your Honor, I object!!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Update:
    AA game tonight. A game Saturday night.
    AAA game has been postponed until ??? ... State Supreme Court to consider WVSSAC appeal Tuesday.
    My guess is the court will uphold the SSAC's decision, but not overturn the results of the Brooke-SC game. Instead, South Charleston will play the championship game with the suspended players forced to sit out.

11. State Supreme Court rules for SSAC.

Draft saved Draft deleted