1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

W.Va High School football chaos

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Figure this will make national headlines in a day or two...

AAA championship is on hold as judges and injunctions in two counties have gotten involved in the suspension of South Charleston four players following a on-field brawl in the waning moments of the quarterfinal game two weeks ago.

Friendly Kanawha County judge grants injuction allowing players to play in semifinal game against Brooke. They win the game.
    Today, same judge rules players are not suspended and can play in AAA title game Sat. in Wheeling
    But whoa, whoa, whoa friendly Ohio County judge today grants Brooke an injuction halting the championship game for 10 days.
    SSAC is figuring out what to do next. My bet is a trip to the State Supreme Court is on deck.
    Meanwhile, I think National High School Federation has a set calender and all football games must be completed by Saturday.

http://wvgazette.com/News/201011301132

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I only care about what Bud Billiard has to say.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And said school gets kicked out of state association.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not all football games have to be completed by Saturday. California games will be still going on for three more weeks if you count the State Bowl games. But this is ridiculous. Why should a judge be getting involved over something that I'm sure is pretty clearly laid out in most sports rule book? Then again, neither Andre Johnson nor Cortland Finnegan were suspended for their fight, so what do I know ...

5. Injunctions against SSAC suspensions are nothing new here. Happens at least once a year. Last big one involved OJ Mayo and Huntington High basketball team.
    SSAC loses 95 percent of ther time, mainly because they lack homefield advantage and partly because of thier lawyer.
    Hell, Hamilton Burger thinks he's a shitty attorney.

6. CRR13

CRR13 Member

Reminds me of the Vikings situation where two players sought court injunctions against their suspensions.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Doesn't the National Federation of High School Associations (the HS equivalent of the NCAA, to which most state associations adhere to their rule book) have a rule that any player ejected from a game is ineligible for the next game?

If I were the game officials' associations involved, whose authority over game action is being flouted/overridden, I'd fix the whole thing very simply. I'd let the courts go ahead and rule whoever they want eligible for the game. And then direct the officiating crew, as soon as those kids show up and set foot on the field of play in the NEXT game, to fire their flags straight up in the air, march off 15 yards per player, and eject them again.

8. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

But how are the Poca Dots doing this year?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Why does something like this happen at least once a year somewhere? Kids, you don't want to miss any playoff games, don't get in fights. And if you do, take your punishment, it's good for you. Contrary to public opinion, you're not different than anyone else just because you put on a football uniform.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Florida has three more weeks. Must not have read the NHSF calendar.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Texas does too.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You get ejected here, you miss a game. Happens again, you're suspended from sports - regardless of season - for an entire calendar year.
    One local kid got ejected at the end of a messy game several weeks back. Opposing team was taking cheap shots in the pile, running back took a swing. Refs broke it up and tossed the running back, who was supposed to miss the game the following Friday.
    Three days after the incident, ref called the RIIL and said it was a unsportsmanlike penalty and had the player leave the field and he wasn't acutally ejected. Refs do that here and there to save kids when they get caught up in the heat of battle.
    And if you want to see epic brawls, you should have seen what happened at the girls soccer championship last fall. Brawl on the field, brawl in the stands and one incompetent RIIL director trying to figure out what to do and ordering TV stations to hand over and not run tape on the fights.

Draft saved Draft deleted