1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vulture ranks every Stephen King novel, from 1-to-62

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Excellent interview / conversation of King by Neil Gaiman

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/04/popular-writers-stephen-king-interview.html

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You skipped the most chilling part of those notes: His assertion - which is probably correct - is that this was the one story of his that WILL likely come true some day.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Very true. I was pretty fucked up before reading the end notes, and his sheer conviction didn't help my state of mind.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This is killing me. Now I can't wait to read it. I actually looked on Amazon tonight to see if I could just buy the short story for my Kindle.

Maybe I'll head down to the library on my day off this week and check it out.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

FJ, it puts the short in short story. It is barely 10 pages (the 10th page, at least in the paperback, is about one graph of text). You can go to the library, pull the book out and read the story right there. 'Course then you have to go home feeling all fucked up. :D

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mine would be...

1. The Stand
    2. Misery
    3. It
    4. The Shining
    5. Carrie

I've read 37 of them but probably nothing he's written in the last 10 years.

Rage is also one of my favorites.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's how I spend most of my days feeling anyway. I'll just kick it up a notch. :D

8. Rage is prolly my favorite short story.

Another is the The Long Walk .. When I first saw the trailer for the Hunger Games, I thought it was based on the King (Bachman) short story.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Funny that you thought that, because when I first saw the trailer, I immediately thought of "The Running Man," also originally a Bachman novel before becoming the awesome Schwarznegger flick.

Interesting to note that Frank Darabont has the rights to "The Long Walk." I don't think there's any progress being made on an adaptation, but he apparently wants to make one someday. I think he's the perfect guy to produce an adaptation.

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Underrated King novella: Apt Pupil.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Brad Renfro was good in ... Apt Pupil. :D

That was a very good story.

12. dieditor

dieditor Member

I always enjoyed all the "Bachman Books," particularly The Long Walk and Roadwork. I'm sure that critically Roadwork is the least acclaimed of the stories in that collection, but the way his life was torn apart in the way of "progress" seemed to resonate. Maybe it's because I've sat in too many city council meetings and listened to NIMBYs at the podium during public comment.

Draft saved Draft deleted