1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vulture ranks every Stephen King novel, from 1-to-62

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/ranking-all-62-stephen-king-books.html?imw=Y#

Some of you King nerds (coughcoughUncleRuckuscoughcough) will get a kick out of this.

I think No. 3 should be No. 1, and that Insomnia should actually have a negative rating, but overall an interesting exercise.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Can't quibble with most of the list. I would have ranked Cell and Needful Things higher and Under the Dome much, much lower. I also agree with you on It being better than The Stand. I also think his short story and novella collections represent a good portion of his best work.

And there probably are bigger King nerds on this board than me. I'm still trying to talk myself into tackling The Dark Tower series.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm only 61 away from having read every one on the list.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, DD. Pretty sweet.

I haven't read the Dark Tower either but my cousin swears by the series, says it's among his best stuff.

I'm actually a huge Tommyknockers fan, once it gets going it's pretty awesome. Glad that Eyes of the Dragon is in top 30, hardly see anyone talk about that one.

I have It over The Stand too. Salem's Lot I think is still the most terrifying. When I read it today it still creeps me out, but some of that is due to the original miniseries, which I saw when I was 4 but can still remember watching it. Had nightmares literally for years and my folks still feel bad about letting me see it. As they should, bad mom and dad. The kid at the window, the kid sitting up in the coffin, staying out at my grandpa's farm was terrifying for years, because the steps were just like the ones Ben walks up to go to the gravedigger. Still, I finally read the book when I was about 15 and it managed to scare the shit out of me all over again, this time with words.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've probably only read about 15 of these, but I liked Needful Things. I also thought Christine was better than its ranking here. But I think I read both in high school, so it's been quite awhile.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's really an incredible series. I'd like to go back and start over because I think he went seven years between the Wastelands and Wizard and Glass and then six more years until Wolves of the Calla, IIRC. That's a long time to keep the entire story in your head.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've always felt King's shorter stuff was much much much better than his long stuff

8. bigpern23

I'll also echo those who would have put "It" as No. 1. It's my favorite book of all-time and one of the few that I've read several times.

9. bigpern23

They certainly make better movies.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Desperation should be much higher. And I think it's kind of weird to put On Writing and Faithful in a list with the rest of them.

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I have no problem with the top six, and after that it gets pretty meaningless.

12. bigpern23

And I didn't realize until just now that new Dark Tower Book was released yesterday, titled "The Wind Through the Keyhole."

It is set between Wizard and Glass and the Wolves of the Calla. Sounds like beach book for me this summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted