1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VP Cheney Still Pushing for Attack Against Iran

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I never said I disliked veterans...reading readiness flunkie you are.

Those swiftboaters guys who called Kerry out deserved the medal of honor.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So do you, Yawn.

You and Hannity.

Everyone else is shit nuts. But you two, you've got the world figured out.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are but a meek and mousy Colmes to Yawn's virule and truthfulent Hannity, Zeke.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow, you have taken your arrogance and supposed knowledge to new levels, yet you're standing on a house made of sand.

What's most telling is that you really have no real facts to back up what you've said. And you certainly talk big for someone who hasn't actually done it. Credibility for you? Zero.

One of the reasons why troops come back without respect for their CINC isn't because they're made to fight (not for the large majority of them) but that they had to fight this particular war, for this particular reason, against this particular enemy, knowing this is going to be the result.

And you say we can actually WIN the war in Iraq? How? The popular uprising Bush was depending on never materialized, which means our only hope for victory is the total defeat of terrorist/fundamental Islamic forces, something no army has accomplished in THOUSANDS of years.

But hey, we're the U.S. and history means nothing, not when it's us. Hearts and minds? Wasn't that an argument we had in further prosecuting the Vietnam War, and didn't Bush say that's what we were going to try in Iraq?

History is replete with signs about how to proceed, or at least, how NOT to proceed. Never mind that, though. How dare there be a segment of the population that differs from your beliefs. How dare there be people who don't want the U.S. fighting an essentially unwinnable war. It just makes us unpatriotic America haters.

If you're so itching for a fight...if it's such the right thing to do, then I recommend you grab a gun (any kind, it doesn't matter), make your way over to Iraq and start killing and torturing every single suspected terrorist you can find.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yawn has decreed that any ex-military person who dares criticize the war or its prosecution after said war (or even while it's going on) is someone not worthy of respect or honor, and anyone who throws that ex-military person under the bus for having an opinion is a hero.

I get it. Actually, I don't.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

The priceless element of the most recent political threads: Conservatives, with the Bush Administration's 1962-Mets approach to war on grand display in the clusterfucks of Afghanistan and Iraq, lecturing liberals on proper combat.

It's telling that there has been little, if any, worldwide response from the Bushies' sirens on Iran. If the U.S. goes in — and with what Army? — it literally goes in alone. That happens, though, when your country's international credibility and moral authority are at all-time lows.

You would think that turning Iraq into a hornet's nest for terrorists, Osama bin Laden escaping at Tora Bora and remaining free, the billions of dollars missing from Iraq reconstruction, the hundreds of thousands of weapons for the security forces that are now missing and in the hands of God knows who, Iran's alleged activities inside Iraq because we saw no need to secure the border, the Taliban resuming its grip on Afghanistan and terrorist attacks worldwide reaching an all-time high would give the Republicans humility, or at least pause.

You'd be wrong.

And that's why a lot of them were voted out of office in November. From the looks of things, the GOP hasn't learned a damn thing since then.

For the Democrats, politically? Good.

For America? Potentially devastating.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The argument that you use that says without direct military connections you have no place to speak defies the fabric of our constitutional rights.

To say this is so redundant if you know anything about my post history other than to knee-jerk every time I post, but I have said that Bush fucked up very early in this war. He claimed victory prematurely. He should have vigorously sealed the borders, which would have kept the Iranians and the Syrians at bay. That mistake has been costly. But do we turn and run? Hell no. We correct the managerial elements and fight on. We've got the best-equpped fucking military in the world. There are elements of this war that the Russians couldn't figure out in Afghanistan and those we should have learned from. But to say this great country can't rectify this situation with its military is as bad an insult to anyone wearing a uniform as anything I've ever even implied.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And yes, the mistake Bush made may have to lead to a draft in this country and the only way that works is if we outline a plan that the people can trust in and not resort to Bush hysteria.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I never claimed you had to have a direct military connection to speak. But to say what you've said without any military experience shows you're entire argument is flawed. Why can't you understand that?

And there are things such as unwinnable wars. Even the military will tell you that, Gomer. The situation we're in in Iraq is, at this point, unwinnable. To say it's an insult to those in uniform is to show you don't have a real comprehension.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Draft? Draft? You're kidding, right?

My son is now 4 years old, which may make him seem "safe" from a draft, but Bush started this war saying the war on terror would take decades. Sorry, but I'm not particularly keen on letting my son become cannon fodder for this travesty.

Unless, of course, you're willing to send your own children to get fragged by a homemade bomb on the roadside.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Children?

We're talking about children?

Wha' happened to Mission Accomplished?

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted