1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vox Media (SB Nation) staff cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by maumann, Jan 20, 2023.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is blue font implied? Vox.com is more than a blogging site.

3. nickp

nickp Active Member

SB Nation cutting funding for all MLS soccer blogs is a disgrace

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Would be fascinating to see the difference in traffic volume between MLS and NHL (also all axed) just to get a handle on sport popularity

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What do you know about Vox's revenue and the cost to fund MLS blogs?

jr/shotglass and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They rolled out a new comments system (Coral) that has been universally hated across the sites, and they’ve seen a pretty big drop off in comment activity on what used to be some of their highest traffic sites, which may or may not have to do with moderation crackdowns.

7. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Considering that most of the SBNation sites are content farms, especially for the niche sports like MLS, I can't imagine they were making money. MLS has a passionate and vocal fanbase. Unfortunately, it's also very small, despite what both the fans and the league would tell you.

As an aside: When I was still at a newspaper, a guy called and asked to speak to me. He gave me a 15-minute diatribe on how we "hate soccer" and "have to give the world's game the attention that it deserved" by covering the local MLS team... which we did for several years, and it never drew any level of online readership and when we stopped, no one complained. The team finally gets in the playoffs years later, and this guy calls, punctuating his argument with, "If you guys don't cover this, it's never going to take off!" I told him that's not my problem, that's the league's problem.

This was 22 years after MLS started.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  8. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

No, links show up in blue.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Clarifying what I posted about the NHL being axed I guess they cut 28 hockey blogs and are keeping 6

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I saw a couple of MLS sites post that they are mo longer being 'supported.'

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I thought some outfit in Houston bought SB Nation Radio. Was that just a licensing deal?

12. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

SB Nation has shuttered its podcast network. Believe The Athletic is also starting to spin down some of its team-centric pods, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted