1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vonnegut's place in your personal heirarchy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Apr 13, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Vonnegut's standing

Also, surprised no one has made the case for another Thomas Pynchon (like Vonnegut, went to Cornell)... I also found Gravity's Rainbow and V to be the two most baffling books I have ever picked up. I hate the feeling they gave me--that someone could explain them to me and I still don't have the capacity to understand.

2. Re: Vonnegut's standing

Hemingway said it about FSF, a man's only got one book like that in him.
    Is Saul Bellow on the roster yet?

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, there's more than one way to dislike Steinbeck. I admit that Grapes of Wrath plods at a Melvillian pace at times. JS's chapter on the turtle crossing the road is not unlike HM's chapter about the whiteness of the whale. Some of JS's other works are breezy and quick reading, though...like Cannery Row and its oft-overlooked sequel, Sweet Thursday.

4. Dedo

Dedo Member

Ace, why do think that is? Not trying to be argumentative, because I'm not sure I'd vote for him, either. Just wondering what your reasons are.

I realize McMurtry didn't exactly break any new literary ground, but in terms of sheer storytelling, I can't think of many who were better.

His son's a damn fine songwriter, too.

5. Re: Vonnegut's standing

As opposed to Faulkner? I love the guy but it takes me a looooooonnng time to finish one of the books.
    Among modern guys I'd nominate T.R. Pearson.

6. Grohl

Grohl Guest

McMurtry's interesting. Lonesome Dove, by itself, puts him in the discussion, in my opinion. I haven't read much of his other stuff, though, except the Lonesome Dove sequels/prequels, which didn't do much for me.

Twain, Melville, Faulkner, Poe, Hawthorne, in some order, would be my starting five. Fitzgerald might be the sixth man -- can't go the distance, but as good as anyone over a short period of time. Damn, Steinbeck would have to be in my rotation, too. Hemingway is the overpaid free-agent acquisition who doesn't deserve the hype.

How about James Fenimore Cooper? I don't think he gets much critical respect these days, but he was there at the beginning. The George Mikan, if you will. As for current writers, what about Philip Roth? I actually haven't read him, but whenever I read about modern authors who might enter the canon someday, his name comes up.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

There's a funny story involving him and my alma mater (West's almost-alma mater)...I'm too busy to type it now, though. Maybe someone can beat me to it.

8. Re: Vonnegut's standing

Where's Bellow? Penn Warren? Gaddis? Baldwin? O'Hara? Dos Passos? Dreiser? Stegner? Percy? London? Cheever? Styron? Cain? Chandler? Wharton?
    Lewis? Fenimore Cooper? Irving? Toole?

And Nathanael West has stopped crying long enough to ask if you're going by single works or body of work.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like McMurtry. Read all his books. I think that he is very good with characters but doesn't break new ground. Maybe he is too straightforward.

Novels like Red Badge of Courage and The Great Gatsby are filled with metaphors and images and such that make them denser and richer.

He's good with social commentary. Not that the tippy top, though, of literature.

10. Re: Vonnegut's standing

I don't think Cooper ever recovered from what Mark Twain did to him.
    http://ww3.telerama.com/~joseph/cooper/cooper.html

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ever try reading James Fenimore Cooper -- yeesh!

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Subject line adjusted to align with Buck's clarification on Page 1:

My (original) title for the thread does not accurately reflect what I was thinking about.
    'Standing' connotes stature and some kind of generally accepted scale of greatness and importance.
    Within that context, Vonnegut is clearly behind Twain, Melville, Hemingway, Poe and Steinbeck.
    I was thinking more about personal preference within the pantheon of accepted great American writers of fiction.

Draft saved Draft deleted