1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleying U.S. Open (Tennis!) Thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Aug 27, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

My favorite tournament if for no other reason than the story of my girlfriend grabbing Pat Rafter's ass (and possibly vice versa...she'll never tell).

...Today (Monday 8/27) is the start of the U.S. Open and what I feel will be Federer's toughest defense. Lot of good tennis being played on the hardcourts this season and not all of it was played by the reigning champion. As for Nadal, I don't think he's ever gotten past the quarters on a hard court grand slam but obviously his talent can take him a long way.

As for the women, I have no clue but I'm going with one of those Eastern European girls this time. Doesn't matter which one, Ivanovic, Jackovic, Idunnoavic, any of 'em. Are the Williams sisters even playing? Have either of them played since Wimbledon?

Thoughts, opinions, comments, insults?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm going with Serena. Good seats, too!

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sharapova blows this one.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hell, the U.S. Open is all about the Williamses this year. Each is going for a second major win on the year. And AP has them tipped for a seventh major final meeting betwixt the two. I think Sharapova has too many distractions.

As for Federer, I don't know if anyone is close to him. You could say he's like Tyson coasting into a Buster Douglas fight, but for me, my money's on R-Fed. Fortunately, I am a journalist and don't have much of that.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Going with Venus in women's....need some time to decide men's

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Venus and Roger.

Oh, and I love my DirecTV with the special Open channels.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, I used to get in for free in exchange for acting as a gofer for a family friend. The first few days are the best -- you can watch the action of excellent (if not top 10) players up close. I can't stand the big courts, because I can't see anything from far away.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Sharapova's serve has been off all year. I doubt it's gotten better since Wimbledon. I don't see Miss Prissy Pants getting past the quarters.

9. sportschick

Federer's girlfriend reached the third (or was it second) round of the women's draw in 2001. I had NO idea.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

For anyone who has been ... is it worth the trip? (I'm guessing the answer is yes.)

I have free time nowadays, and I'm kind of interested in making a day trip to Flushing.

11. sportschick

I would be jealous if you went, like insanely, irrationally jealous.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You're drawing a paycheck. Don't be too jealous. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted