1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball team complains about skimpy shorts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Keep in mind: Stockton's shorts length didn't change. It stayed the same while the length of the shorts worn by the rest of the players changed.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You and me both :D

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Covering DI volleyball (women's), was probably the only time I've blushed while covering sports. NCAA tourney, Ohio State playing the team I covered at St. Johns Arena. One OSU player was basically bending over right in front of my seat on press row before each serve. I'll admit, my eyes were drawn... there... where I could clearly make out her piercing. Those shorts were TIGHT.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

:eek:

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That would have been the highlight of my professional existence.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I used to cover high school volleyball and had an experience that made me feel really bad. There was one girl on a team who was heavier than her teammates, and it was obvious in the uniform. Then one day I saw the team in street clothes and didn't recognize the girl AT ALL because she looked like a normal-sized teenage girl. I realized some of her teammates were freakishly skinny (maybe because they were self-conscious of the uniforms?) but the spandex skewed the perception. I felt bad for always thinking of her as the heavier one.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Yeccch -- I'll be witnessing this firsthand in Beijing.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Great reasoning. Using that logic, I suppose they'd be better off playing in no pants at all. Which I suspect many of the coaches in question would be just fine with. ::)

In my days ages ago of coaching girls' sports, my rule on uniforms was that I didn't care much as long as they didn't interfere with playing the game. If they make the players so self-conscious they can't concentrate on playing -- or don't come out for the team -- then they interfere with playing the game.

Now, on tent-canopy past-the-knee parachute basketball shorts: for both genders, they interfere with dribbling behind the back or through the legs. Once that happens, into the trash can.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

"So, what's the problem here?"
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted