1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball team complains about skimpy shorts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"I'm just here to cover the game. No really, I am."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't want to live in a country where dirty old men can't walk in off the street and watch high school girls play sports, dammit.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When teams (especially high school teams) wear the teeny-bikinis, I can guarantee you 95% of the time, it's due to the insistence of the coach.

The only girls who want to wear the scanty-panties are girls who are pretty close to perfect 10s, have no concern whatsoever about a few surplus ounces on the cheeks, and want to strut their stuff. That describes probably 5% of volleyball players.

Functionally, it's ridiculous. There is no functional reason volleyball players must wear teeny-bikinis, other than the coach likes the way they look. Again, I don't know exactly what's the root of that motivation, but I do have a few guesses. ::) ::)

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The terrorist win if we allow "grandpa" to walk in and watch high school girls play volleyball.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Those skimpy shorts are the main reason why I love covering preps.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But most teams don't wear those anymore, right? I haven't seen any team wear the bun huggers in seven, eight years (and I used to have an alphabetical list of every school - prep and college - that did..not really). It's the spandex shorts now, which are short and revealing, but not like the old bikinis (like cross country runners, track runners wear, etc).

And if you're going to be a dirty old man, skip the volleyball and go to gymnastics.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I played high school volleyball back in the Stone Age.

We didn't wear spandex. We had horrid polyester monstrosities that we complained about, but the shorts didn't fit like we had been poured into them.

Despite the handicap of not wearing spandex, we played pretty darned well.

Rosebud plays high school volleyball. We parents hate the spandex shorts, the players hate the spandex shorts -- I know several girls, good athletes at that, who refuse to go out for volleyball for one reason, that's right, spandex.

All the teams in this area wear them.

Personally, I think it's time for a revolt, ditch the spandex.

And any coach who tries to tell me the demands of the sport require shorts which leave nothing to the imagination can explain to me how we managed to play volleyball in the Stone Age and how come basketball players can still play while wearing shorts which more closely resemble skirts.

[/rant over -- for now.]

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the way it was at this school.

The county had three high schools, one that was uptight about everything like that, one that wasn't judgmental when I first walked in for one of their matches and the other school doesn't offer volleyball.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"You only cover us when we wear ass-revealing shorts."

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

It's true. If D.J. Augustin can get away with wearing what looked like a burnt orange kilt, then volleyballers can probably don some shorts.

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Clearly you've never seen my chicken legs :p

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I just don't like the baggy stuff. It just doesn't look right.

Draft saved Draft deleted