1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball team complains about skimpy shorts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They're embarrassed by the shorts they're forced to wear and would prefer something more modest.

And it's the US Men's Olympic team.

http://olympics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/volleyball-short-pants-long-faces-for-us-men/

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

NAIR, the official hair removal product of the U.S. Mens volleyball team.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I always feel awkward when girls or women were forced to trot out in brief bottoms for volleyball matches.

Guys, buck up.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Compared to basketball shorts of years ago, those are long.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a funny video. Go long, USA!

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've had several volleyball players say they feel pretty self-conscious in the skimpy briefs. Some were girls who were a little heavier (or more than a little) and others were perfectly fit and trim, but almost all said, "I get nervous bending over to serve and wondering if someone's grandpa is looking up my shorts."

And over the years, I've had several volleyball coaches explain to me (some in rather curiously insistent and forceful terms) that skintight bikini briefs are absolutely the right apparel for volleyball teams to wear and only someone "ignorant of the demands of the sport" (in appropriate 'i know something you don't' tone) would suggest that volleyball teams wear anything else (tank shorts, compression tights, etc).

I'm not sure why some of these coaches are so bent on the idea that the teeny-bikinis are the only acceptable volleyball uniforms, but I have a couple guesses. :eek: :eek:

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's why I hated my first month on the job at my old paper.

No one knew who I was when I started working there, and I had to cover a volleyball match the first week of the season.

I walked in and was accosted by a parent or a grandparent because I was there to "look at our girls" and such.

::)

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Shorts that go below the knee suck. The fashion is outdated and it looks like shit.

I wouldn't go to such a short length, but showing a bit of thigh never hurt.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I didn't know John Stockton started a men's sportswear company after leaving the NBA.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Don't even pretend like you weren't lookin'!

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A high school volleyball team I once covered used to wear bright red spandex shorts at home until I talked the coach into using the black "road" shorts for all games.

The conversation: "Black spandex hides stuff better." "Er ... stuff?" "Yes, ma'am. 'Stuff.'" "Oh."

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So every fan had to be know to every other fan or they were suspected of checking out the players? Sheesh. Hopefully no one from the community who was just interested in volleyball but wasn't known to every family member ever went to a match.

Wasn't there a thread on here awhile ago about skimpy volleyball shorts? If guys had to wear speedos for all those years in the pool, I think these guys will be ok in these shorts.

Draft saved Draft deleted