1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Service points are the most overrated and useless stats in volleyball. All it means is said player was on serve when the team scored. It says absolutely nothing, but some coaches are crazy enough to argue the point, probably because they think it will get yet another name in the story and/or it will keep a parent off the coach's back.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

true dat.

and check your PMs, sam.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Just joking, dude. Even 98-pound weaklings need some.
    VB is one of my favorite sports. Huskies coach went to the same high school I did (but he went a decade later), we've traveled in the same circles but I don't know him well. I grew up with the sport and my daughter has played. And the spandex ... oh well ... they gotta wear something, might as well be spandex.
    Thanks for the props, TP, I owe you a Fat Tire.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I haven't been 98 pounds since I was probably, shit I have no idea. The Huskies coach is one of the nicest people I have ever met. The UW team was fun to watch, they won the NC the year after I covered them. Pac-10 VB is really fun to watch.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was talking with my kid's club coach about the UDUB women's coach (they are good friends), who used to be the USC men's coach. I asked why he would leave USC men for UDUB women. He said that women's volleyball is better, more prestigious, just a better job.
    Interesting concept.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I can see that. He is the only coach in NCAA history to win a championship in mens and womens VB.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I wonder how many college sports there are in which the women's teams are more significant than the men's teams. Volleyball and gymnastics for sure. Soccer, swimming, tennis, probably a push. That might be it.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was once told by our tennis SID at UNLV that college tennis is the lowest level you can play at. His reasoning was that anyone who is worth a shit at tennis is pro.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'd guess that's probably right. Didn't used to be that way. All the big-time men players -- Americans anyway -- went to college: Connors, McEnroe. The women, though, are probably past prime by college years. That is especially true of women's gymnastics.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I didn't know McEnroe and Connors went to college? Where did they go?

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

McEnroe went to Stanford IIRC.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

McEnroe went to Stanford. Connors and Arthur Ashe went to UCLA. Stan Smith and Bob Lutz went to USC. Now, guys aren't even playing for their high school teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted