1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Hillman

Hillman New Member

For some reason, volleyball terminology has changed this year from games and match to sets and match.

When I covered the sport regularly, I tried to include some detail on the final points of a match.

Quotes and runs work best in volleyball. Assists and digs are usually filler and are used to get the names of the setter and defensive players into the story.

I found it difficult to keep up with more than aces, kills, and errors when I covered the sport and used a running scoresheet.

2. Kill percentage isn't meaningless, especially if you use it in tandem with the number of kills, ie, Britney had 15 kills in the sweep with a .400 percentage. Those two numbers tell you she had a pretty good match.

3. We had the same thing in girls' basketball one year. Small school on the outskirts of our coverage area has a girl who's close to breaking the school's assists record, just putting up incredible numbers. We start writing about it, do a feature on her one day, mention the soon-to-be-broken record in most of their game stories. Until little Sally puts up 15 assists in an 80-20 loss. We try to explain to the coach that that's impossible and he tells us that he counts them as assists if she makes a good pass and the other player "should have scored." The record was never again mentioned in our paper.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I just try to paint a broadbrush picture of what happened and not get bogged down in details. Volleyball stats are almost impossible for one person to get, beyond aces, kills and the like. I just highlight important plays in the match and if the coach gives me statistics, I'll run them. Otherwise, I'm just asking for trouble from volleyball fanatics and confusing the readers who are just interested in keeping up with their team.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Best advice I can give is to call in sick.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I have a VB tournament to cover for the first time ever tomorrow. Not looking forward to it, but at least the coaches will have all the necessary stats.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Good volleyball is really fun to watch. Problem is passing is lacking in the high school game. The place I worked at had one team that was really good and a bunch that were just awful.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I would say one really good (Henley), one decent (Bonanza) and a bunch awful but I know nothing about the sport. That was reinforced last night :p

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Bonanza is decent. They can beat some of the bigger teams as they did in the annual tourney.

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Eh. The only time volleyball appealed to me was my sophomore year of high school. Had a *huge* crush on my school's setter (a junior).

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I dated a VB player from UW, well dated might be a stretch.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

She didn't dig you?
    You couldn't spike her?
    She looked like a Husky?

Draft saved Draft deleted