1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Sep 18, 2008.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Ah, but not as big a gamble since they allowed balls that hit the top of the net and go over count. A well-placed hard serve (or even a soft-serve) off the tape is nearly impossible to receive.

2. HandsomeHarley

Be careful, though. If the coach says little Britnee had 43 kills, she's counting every attack as a kill and not just the ones that result in a point. Same with blocks. If little Kristyl had 30 blocks in a match, someone is not being honest.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We had one last year where out of a possible 74 points, the setter had 76 kills -- oh, and she had eight aces....
    Called her back on that pretty quick...

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This thread helped me a lot last fall, FWIW.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/49435/

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I had that happen once. The coach said a girl had 36 kills in a match and there was no way she had that many. It may have been 18, but he got really angry when I told him I thought that was off. I told the SE and he told me to go with the 36, even though he was certain that wasn't accurate.

On a side note I had the same coach tell me the same player had 21 kills in one game of another match.

6. HandsomeHarley

If I'm anything, at least I'm consistent.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've got a rural coach now giving me "attack percentage" on her faxes. Or at least that's what I call it. She will say something like, "Klarissa was 34/36 in attack." What I'm interpreting that as is "She had 36 chances for a kill and didn't screw up 34 times." However, that's not 34 kills, and coach will say that "Klarissa had 14 kills."

You can also tell when they have one good player surrounded by others that aren't good. One player will always be going "35/38" while others will go "15/25". It looks like the best players will always convert 95-98 percent of these chances.

To me, though, it's a stat that's only good for coaches.

Also: are "assists" official stats? You know, the setter makes a pass that leads to a kill.

I keep kills, blocks and assists. I note aces in my PBP.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Klarissa hit for .333 (good peformance). 14 kills in 36 attempts, and subtract her two hitting errors.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, it took me a couple matches to realize that .333 percent is a good kill percentage. You have to look at it like batting average. The only way someone is going to finish with a 50 percent kill rating is if they had 2 attempts in the match.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Kill pct. and assists are meaningless stats.
    A lot of volleyball stats are misleading. A player might get 15 kills in a three-set sweep and that would be better than a player getting 25 kills in a five-set loss. Recording assists by the setter would be just about the same as recording the number of successful handoffs a quarterback has.
    Quotes are much better in volleyball coverage.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The only things I keep track of are aces and kills. I always try to get the stats from the coach, too. I just have trouble keeping track of blocks, and especially something like digs.

12. Scouter

Scouter Member

That's about all you can do. I make a T-chart and keep a running score down my legal pad. It makes it easy to see when teams had big runs, number of ties, lead changes, etc. I also write down the server and any play-by-play for who had the assists and who had the kill for each point..

Draft saved Draft deleted