1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Sep 18, 2008.

1. txscoop

txscoop Member

It has been awhile since I covered v-ball. Anyone have a stat sheet or pointers??
    Thanks

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Assists, kills, blocks, digs.

Keep track of serve reception and service runs.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

* Digs are near impossible to keep track of if you're following everything else, so don't even try.

* Kills only count when the kill results in a point. If the kill is dug up and played, it's not a kill.

* Blocks only count when they end the volley and result in a point (also known as stuff-blocks).

* Yes, you can have half a block.

PM me if you want a scoresheet. I have one on Microsoft Excel.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Since stats have been covered:
    1. Are the teams effectively using their three hits (four if there's a partial block)?
    2: Are they moving the ball effectively and putting a spiker in good position for a kill?
    3: Can they pass a serve well (giving the setter a ball he/she can get to), or are they shanking passes or forcing other players to scramble off the court to keep the play alive?
    4: Can they manage any kind of consistent block against the other team's big hitter, or frustrate him/her into unforced errors (hitting into the net or out of bounds)?
    5: Do they routinely float serves, or gamble and try for aces (a much bigger gamble now with the advent of rally scoring)?

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Don't get bogged down in all the stats. Kills, blocks and digs are the most important.
    The biggest key in volleyball is receiving serve and passing the ball to the setter. If the setter has to run all over the court to get the pass, that's bad. If the passers get the ball to the setter in good position, it makes the setters job easier.
    Watch who the setters go to, usually the middle hitters at the start, then the outside hitters. If the other team can't block the middle hitters, it can't win.
    Those are some basics.

6. Or just do what I do the three times a year I cover volleyball and get the stats from the coaches.

7. txscoop

txscoop Member

thanks everyone

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I covered volleyball for two whole seasons and I never kept my own stats. I did runs and play by play but I always got stats from coaches. That way when the parents bitched, which they always did, I told them I got the stats from coaches.

9. txscoop

txscoop Member

good advice

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if a coach gives you the stats and tells you Brittney/Britni/Brittany/Britney had X service points and Y passes, try not to laugh in his/her face when you tell her those are feel-good stats and not official ones

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would just keep track of service aces, run a lot of quotes and try to get the feel of the flow of the games, rather than worry about how many digs, kills, spikes each Brittany may have had.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

DC is right tho... you need to keep track of service runs...

Draft saved Draft deleted