1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball player acts as designated driver, gets suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 14, 2013.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Fine, but as kids we're taught not to drive drunk. Get a cab or find a DD, but don't drive drunk. So, I'm assuming the kid who she was taking home got in trouble for doing just that, calling her friend to come pick her up. And then her friend got suspended from her team for being the type of person that helps friend when they're in trouble.

Instead of praising both kids for handling the situation like adults, the school punishes each of them. Cool.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's why her excuse is so great.

3. NDJournalist

Why would the captain of the volleyball team willingly risk her reputation by driving drunk?

4. TheSportsPredictor

Because she's drunk.

5. NDJournalist

Not according to the police, she wasn't.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Go back and re-read the story (or perhaps read it for the first time), come back here and edit this post. Because I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

If you answer "yes" to the following question, this is an open-and-shut case: Did the girl violate the terms of the contract she willingly signed at the beginning of the season? Yes or no?

7. NDJournalist

She didn't willingly sign a contract. She signed a contract because if she didn't sign it she couldn't play. That is not the same thing.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

How do you know that? That's a pretty big leap.

And either way, it matters little. The school department has its case in black and white.

9. TheSportsPredictor

I'm speaking hypothetically. Why would a person make that decision? Because that person is drunk.

10. NDJournalist

Not really. The girl wasn't drunk. She and the girl she was picking up should be looked at as heroes for how to handle that situation correctly. The drunk girl was smart, calling her sober friend. And the sober friend was responsible, picking up the drunk girl. That is a story that could've made the news for everyone doing the right thing.

Instead the school does this...

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So, let me get this straight ...

• Girl's story is that she gets a call from a friend, who is drunk and wants a ride home
    • Girl's story is that she leaves work, drives to party at which friend is, and just as/after she gets there police show up
    • After busting several kids for under-age drinking, police say girl had neither consumed nor was in possession of alcohol

Yeah, I can see where one would be a total sucker to believe that girl's story. [/bluefont]

On a likelihood scale of 1-100 (with 100 being it had to happen that way), I put the girl's story nowhere less than 33. Am I saying she's as pure as the driven snow? Of course not. Did she get off work to head over to the party and got lucky because the cops showed up before she could get into the sauce? Probably. But her story's not remotely implausible.

I believe it is totally b.s. for a school district to institute a zero-tolerance policy regarding actions taken by students when those students are remotely "at" school. It's even worse when this involves the student not taking those actions! And forget the extra-curricular aspect of this, because many of these policies involve things that suspensions/expulsions from school itself. Totally ridiculous.

For the record, here are pulls from the district and school documents re: alcohol:

From the district:
    From the school ...
    I've put in bold the things the police said this girl didn't do .... which leaves, what else?

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Did she sign a contract stating that any athlete cannot be in the presence of alcohol? Just say yes, it's the right answer. You can bend it and twist it six ways from Sunday, but ultimately, the school has its case and the girl was in the wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted