1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball player acts as designated driver, gets suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I guess Andover does not have a safe rides program. If overall story is accurate, the "don't drive drunk" message is now lost on Andover teens.

Story did say that she left work to pick up her friend which would have given the police a
    timeline to verify the accuracy of her story. Would be interested to know how much time
    passed between her leaving work to when she got to friends house.

Story did not mention if those caught drinking were athletes and suspended also.

If I were little Erin's parent I might be inclined to sue also because of the damage that it would have done to
    her typical laundry list college narrative... "Erin is an honors student, Captain of the volley ball team, started safe rides for teens program,volunteers at the homeless shelter, takes in homeless squirrels,etc,etc.

Another reason to do club sports. They won't suspend you for drinking.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Don't know about this case, but I know enough about police procedure to tell you that when busting up an underage drinking party, they'll often pull out the Portable Breath Test and ask everyone to give a blow. 0.00 you're not in trouble. 0.01 or higher, and you get a citation for underage drinking.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Never question the narrative!

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Bing-fucking-oh!

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kind of like union rules.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a clever, tactical imposition of will. Schools, like many institutions, will act as a impersonal conglomerate, so why not drag the outcome to a single judge whom you can emotionally appeal to?

The school shouldn't have suspended her. Who are we kidding?

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this case more the other night, and I've seen interviews with the girl and the mom, who whipped up a few alligator tears for effect. Where is the friend in all of this? If I were the reporter, I would seek out the friend and ask her how she feels about the suspension.

Also, why has nobody been in touch with the school district? All accounts have said calls have not been returned. Do you know what you do when calls aren't returned? You drive to the school and approach said administrator in the parking lot. Done that before.

It just seems all the stories want to paint the exact same picture: goody two-shoe girl does something good, despite being in clear violation of the contract she signed, and gets pinched. Tough luck, but what do you do? Oh, you hire a lawyer because little rich girl is unhappy and mom is crying over the captaincy of a shitty high school volleyball team.

8. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

The NFL suspends players four games (25 percent of a season) for failing a drug test. This isn't even drugs. This is taking a sip of alcohol. That's a little excessive, no?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess you're kidding me, because I don't see anything wrong with spelling out and agreeing to a set of rules to participate in an optional event. And there is a real and definite reason for having this kind of rule.

You guys are some suckers if you're buying her story and the mom's. I definitely would have wanted some of you naifs as my parents a couple of times.

10. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

If she was lying why would the parents hire lawyers?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Better off going with a professional liar than an amateur liar.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ask Lance Armstrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted