1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball club costing teen scholarship?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Volleyball, at least, provides some full rides. Baseball, meanwhile, barely offers anything. Parents spend thousands a year in team fees and travel costs for, if they're among the lucky few, a few thousand dollars in a scholarship.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And it's why we had the seasons switch in 2007. I live in a state where girls basketball was in the fall and volleyball was in the winter. They changed the season because the girls were being "discriminated" against. Never mind most of the girls didn't want the seasons to switch. But it was all done for the clubs and AAU.

I should add most parents I've met with boys or girls in club sports are really nice. However, you know there are those out there bucking to get little Johnny a full ride just so they don't have to foot the bill.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most surprising thing is that you can't switch AAU teams whenever you want.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same could be said for soccer as well, except for orange slices for everyone (if that's not an NCAA violation). But the worst I saw was in football: A parent raising funds to send their spawn to a combine which, if he did well there, would send him to a super combine, from which prospects would be chosen for an all-star game on some obscure cable channel ... but college scouts would be there! Invest the cash in some SAT prep courses or visit the local juco, you'll get more attention there.

MTM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted