1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voices in music that irritate you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheWritingWaffle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, the fake country hayseed Springsteen voice grates for me as well.

My vote goes to the chick in Sixpence None the Richer, who half-whispers everything in the thinnest voice on record.

And forgive the heresy, but there are some Led Zeppelin songs I would like a hell of a lot more if they were instrumentals.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

lately his voice has really grate do
    Agreed on the Springsteen point. The last few years his voice has occasionally morphed into a kind of country-type growl that is totally grating.

Clapton isn't a great singer ("Layla" being a notable exception) but when he tries to sound like his blues heroes (most of the From the Cradle is ample evidence of this) it sounds like a bad parody.

David Clayton-Thomas and Alanis Morrisette are two more than come to mind.

And you're much more liable to get stomped on by many of the rabid Springsteen types than the Zep acolytes!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

IN YOUR HEEEAAADD, IN YOUR HEEEEEAAAD....ZOMMMMBIE! ZOMMMMBIE! EHEH!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Knew Geddy Lee would get plenty of mention on this thread. Had a friend of mine who told me after a while that he really didn't like his voice.

No biggie ... played "La Villa Strangiato," "YYZ," "Leave That Thing Alone," "The Main Monkey Business" ... and he didn't protest.

End of issue.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Elvis Costello.

Love his music, but you know how some people don't like Dylan's voice. I feel the same way about Costello.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jay Farrar

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

His voice is perfect for one of my favorite albums of all time, but that drone got old about a decade ago. It also doesn't help that his unique way of crafting songs makes most of them sound ridiculous, stilted and boring these days.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would listen to System of a Down if they had a new singer, a new drummer, a new bassist and a new guitar player. Also, new lyrics.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Beyonce singing a ballad.

Seems like a lovely person, tho.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Who the fuck is Ryan Tedder?

Draft saved Draft deleted