1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vlad.....Best Active OF HOF'er?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jul 23, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Looked up his stats and was stunned at how the consistency of his dominance just jumps off the page at you, lifetime .321, slug. .567, 8 yrs 30+ HR, 9 yrs. 100 RBIs+, OPS .952. He was also pretty good in the field as well (I realize he's DH'd the past couple of years). Simply WOW. Could not think of someone comparable active (Griffey just retired.)

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Manny Ramirez?

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Maybe not the power numbers, but for everything else, Ichiro might want to be included.

4. CR19

CR19 Member

I'd take Ichiro as the best right now. He also has the speed.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Daniel Nava?[/chrisl]

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah forgot about Man-Ram, should change title. But hey, that's why I put this out there.

Ichiro is phenomenal, 9+ years and already over 2100 hits, lifetime .350 hitter with RISP.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Just looked up the numbers. If Manny never played another game in his life, Vlad would need to have 2.5 of his best seasons to catch him in HRs and RBIs. And he still might not catch him.

Now this may be a silly question, but is Ichiro a 100 percent Hall of Famer right now? What if he gets hurt tomorrow? He has 2,100 major league hits (not counting his time in Japan). He has maintained a .332 average in 10 seasons (all All-Star seasons), the ROY and his defense is spectacular (has never not won a Golden Glove).

I guess if what he did in Japan translates to voters, he'll get in with ease, but the numbers he's put up in 10 seasons here don't guarentee him entry. I'll be honest, though, I thought he had more hits than that.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Manny (18th season): .313, 554 HR, 1827 RBI, .441 OBP, 589 slg., 1,000 OPS. 12 seasons 30+ HR and 100+ RBI

Vlad (15th season): .321, 427 HR, 1384 RBI, 385 OBP, 567 Slg., 952 OPS, 8 seasons 30+ HR, 9 seasons 100+ RBI

Vlad was a far superior outfielder.
    Both are first ballot HOFers, but I'll still take Manny.

Ichiro, also first-ballot, is not in this conversation.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Manny: One 50-game PED suspension.
    Vlad, Ichiro: None.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Insignificant

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Ignoring all the negative press around him, and just based on his numbers and skill, I'd pick A-Rod, and I'm not and A-Rod fan.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

A-Rod is not an outfielder.

Draft saved Draft deleted