1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vivian Maier, street photographer and nanny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 4, 2011.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

That's an amazing story. Thanks for posting.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Her story was part of the This American Life live show the program did several months ago. It was stunning.

My wife -- a photographer -- was damn near speechless at how brilliant this woman was.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Vivian Maier website.

http://www.vivianmaier.com

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We saw that. I play around with amateur photography. I'm not that good. But I also have worked with a lot of pro photographers. I think I generally know good photography when I see it.

Maier had an incredible eye and using the equipment she was, an amazing ability to frame shots. She chose subjects on the fly like a master. Brilliant is the right word.

Also freaked me out, because her name is similar to my girlfriend's name, and they have a similar European background and sensibility. Except my girl has no photography skill.

I can spend all day looking at this woman's photos. It's great that she shot so much in Chicago and New York, two places I know well. Aside from her ability to capture a time and place and capture people as they were, I love (based on where the photos were taking) doing then and nows in my head. Some places / streets / locations are barely recognizable. Others (particularly anything near Central Park) are pretty much in a time warp.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Look through all the portfolios on the site. You won't regret it. Mesmerizing.

And I'm haunted that while she was doing something she obviously loved, she never so much as smiles in any of the self portraits. Genius, it seems, is often accomplished by tortured souls.

Also, if you want a good laugh at the expense of 1970s fashion, check out the last picture in the "color" portfolio.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We just gt back from the Chicago History Museum.

The exhibit was spectacular -- but it was way too small. Definitely worth checking out if you're in Chicago -- you can do it in 20 or 30 minutes. But, not worth a trip to Chicago.

The photos are amazing. She picked incredible people to photograph. Older people, with lines on their face. People down on their luck. Children. They all looked like characters from a movie.

There was another couple going through the exhibit, and I overheard them talking. Growing up, he was friends with the children she was a nanny for, so he remembered her well, and he told us all about her.

Her story is so incredible, but the pictures are worthy of the story.

7. YankeeFan

Oh, and the gift shop had two books available for purchase. One was based oh the earlier exhibit, and it was $35.00. The other was put together in conjunction with this exhibit and it was $60.00.

They each had many more photos that were all incredible. I imagine they could both be found online.

I didn't purchase either, but maybe for Christmas.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Powerhouse Books in DUMBO in Brooklyn published a book of her photos, too. It is $39.95. I didn't buy it, but we sat there (they have chairs inside) one day and thumbed through, and it actually wouldn't be a half-bad $40 purchase.

http://www.powerhousebooks.com/site/?p=7095

9. YankeeFan

Going to see this movie tonight:

This intriguing documentary shuttles from New York to France to Chicago as it traces the life story of the late Vivian Maier, a career nanny whose previously unknown cache of 100,000 photographs has earned her a posthumous reputation as one of America’s most accomplished and insightful street photographers.

http://www.vivianmaier.com/film-finding-vivian-maier/

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link ... it has a schedule of where the film will be shown.

Pleased to see it will be in my area beginning May 2. Looks like a good documentary about a very interesting person and talented street photographer.

11. YankeeFan

The movie was excellent. Really interesting.

At our screening, the filmmakers attended, and took questions afterwards. It was very cool.

12. I am jealous. I want to see this film -- right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted