1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VIVA LA VICKBALL!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Chuckie's grasping at straws now.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Kordell was the Vick of that time. Neither was or is known as the most accurate passing quarterback, but gave defensive coordinators fits with his legs and scared opponents with a cannon arm. Seems like a fair comparison to me.

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

vick is a better player than kordell and has had a much better career, but vick still has a ways to go to match kordell's magical year in 1997, when he threw 21 TDs and ran for 11.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't watch him play. Arm strength wasn't Stewart's problem. His problems were all mental.

And yes, Roethlisberger was awful in the Super Bowl. But he was outstanding getting the Steelers there. I won't bother to repeat the numbers again because some of you are too attached to your "beneficiary of the system who never throws" idea of Roethlisberger to actually look at them.

Could Vick have won the Super Bowl with that team? Maybe. He hasn't won one. Roethlisberger has. Roethlisberger has shown he can put together three consecutive strong playoff performances, something Vick hasn't done.

And the whining about Palmer's injury cracks me up. First of all, nobody but Bengals fans or Steelers haters thinks that was a dirty hit. More importantly, we don't know how that game would have gone. Just because Palmer hit one big pass it's over?

The first time the teams played, Palmer marched his team right down the field twice. The Bengals blew both opportunities and ended up with only three points and the Steelers dominated from there. That was in Cinci. Not to mention the fact that the Bengals couldn't stop anybody.

Palmer's health just gives the Bengals a better shot in a shootout. It wouldn't have guarantee them a victory.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Wow, it's funny how someone saying something as simple as "Vick is underrated" can be seen as "I guzzle his herpe-tainted jizz". I didn't go out call him the greatest passer ever. I just said he's not as bad as you think. Let's all calm down for a second ,ok?

6. outofplace

Didn't you refer to him as the best quarterback in the game somewhere in one of these threads?

7. Chuck~Taylor

But only if the o-line comes through and the receivers stop dropping balls. Something that Peyton Manning has. Something that Carson Palmer has. If the Falcons just get those two things down consistently, the Falcons will become a Super Bowl contender.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Carson Palmer's been sacked 23 times this season, the same amount as Vick. And Palmer's receivers haven't exactly been the most consistent this season. You might want to rethink that last comment.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Exactly. Look at how good the Bengals are this year compared to last year.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But Chuck, for full disclosure, Seattle has given up the third-most amount of sacks this season with 26. And you know the Seahawks will be right there in the Super Bowl hunt because Hasselbeck/Wallace will make plays.

At 11 sacks, both Green Bay and Tennessee are among the best at protecting their quarterback. The quarterback still has to make plays, though. Line play alone won't make Vick a great quarterback, he's got to make better decisions, too.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Exactly, I agree with you. But I think he'll start to make better decisions when o-line holds up so he can make better reads. If you're the qb with a o-line that can't pass protect and the defense is thinking BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ on every play, it's not going to be peaches and cream out there. But I guess this is were we disagree. I believe he can, you believe he can't. I guess time will tell.

12. outofplace

Great quarterbacks make defenses pay for blitzing by making big plays under pressure.

Actually, quarterbacks who are merely good do that. The aforementioned Roethlisberger is particularly good at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted