1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Viva la Resistance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rudy Petross, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Ok, so as a freelancer I have gotten stiffed in the past when magazines went tits up. It is part of the gig, but I am in a situation now where a publisher hasn't paid me for four months. He is on one coast, I'm on the other. His standard business practice is "ignore him and he'll go away." Then when he did return an email he said to be patient that the economy is bad.
    Nope, not any more. I've had enough of this shit with publishers paying writers whenever they feel like it. I gave him a deadline and if he doesn't meet it, I am taking him to court. If he doesn't show, then I'll win a default judgement and start the collection process with penalties for late payment.
    I think we as writers have been crapped on enough and many of us think we are powerless. I have seen it too many times. Information is key and we have to start standing up for ourselves. I don't care if I lose this account if it helps me another writer down the road.
    I will update what happens.
    The good news is Tribune Company finally paid me what they owed me.
    There is hope for us yet.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Aux armes, citoyens,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. In Exile

In Exile Member

It's happening with major trade publishers as well.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I finally got paid from the WWL, five months after my first assignment. Now I'll wait another five months for my last gig.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Poynter seminars are starting to take an ugly turn.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ah, freelancing ...

[​IMG]

:D

You gotta figure he gets paid on time.

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

[​IMG]

Not so much anymore.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He escaped, according to Lucasfilm. Blew a hole in the Sarlacc's stomach with grenades.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Sometimes those who make the assignments then have to go through bullshit paperwork at their publications to get the fricking check out. Publications are eager to get the work. Then it's often a joke in trying to get the check cut and mailed out. Publications love saving the money on no travel costs, then it takes forever to pay the fucking freelancer. Low rent b.s.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

More people will come if you say there'll be punch and pie.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was paid within two weeks of my invoice.

Draft saved Draft deleted