1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Viva la EBITDA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanielSimpsonDay, Jan 29, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. Portnoy will OD on coke within two years.

Songbird likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I think Barstool is a very interesting business story. From its origins as a free weekly in Boston to being a $450 million company, partly because of the end of the prohibition on sports gambling. Portnoy is a hustler, but his company's current value is in podcasts and he didn't see that at first. And Chernin made out. According to the article, it got at least half of the company for $25 million.

It's content on the internet that is valuable now. What are the internet-only news/information websites making money?

I don't see how it is a great investment going forward. Its has a polarizing public image that could end up killing it. Also, it appears that Barstool's value is in its attitude and its talent. Its readers/listeners/viewers are going to get older. It is going to have to replace people doing the popular podcasts. I don't think a media company with this specific of a attitude can both maintain its listeners and find the talent to keep people interested.

maumann likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Portnoy is always one stupid 3am high as shit tweet from pissing the whole thing away.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet against him. Unlike Daulerio, he seems to know where the line is -- and then he snorts it.

Donny in his element and Chef2 like this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah - If you had to wager on "who's the next Gawker?", they're the heavy favorites. That valuation seems absolutely nuts to me. Like, I'm not sure how much more growth they have in terms of market, and eventually they're going to lose some of it as it "matures" out of the demo.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really don't see the brand having a long shelflife. Chernin wouldn't have sold if they thought the value would go higher. But I do think with gambling companies flooding the market, having a brand like Barstool to set you apart is wise.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seriously. David Fucking Portnoy is soaring into the galaxies as we speak.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Portnoy is one of those guys that when you see him on the street, you just want to walk up to him and punch him.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted