1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vitale kiss 'no laughing matter'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 17, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not outraged. I'm just saying, doing something like that, unsolicited, is uncomfortable and creepy, not just "Dick being Dick," or garden-variety silliness to be dismissed as such.

Imagine the roles reversed and, say, Helen Thomas planting one on Alec Baldwin's punim during a pre-Obama press conference meet-and-greet.

Creepy and inappropriate.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Judd seemed to enjoy it, though, and said she did afterward.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not a story to me. I'm getting tired of the "oh, I'm so offended" put-upon people of the world. If Ashley has no problem with it then I'm cool with it too. And I've seen many comments from women saying they had no issue with it, either.

I forget if it was a tweet or where I saw it, but Ashley said to someone Dickie V is practically like a member of the family.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know they've apparently been friends for more than a decade.

I retract my previous statements, and reserve them for situations like Namath-Kolber.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Outrage and being offended are what powers the Internet. And everything else these days.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Did he slip her some tongue?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They've been at least acquaintances for years, they might even consider each other friends. It's a little much for an unrelated third party to try to say what is and isn't appropriate between the two of them. It's not like he started groping some co-ed he'd never met. If Judd was upset, then shame on Dick. But was there any indication she minded at all?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's a good thing Shannon Ryan wasn't writing for the Tribune when Harry Caray was around.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Ashley Judd is threatening to file a police report -- not on Dickie V, but against the Twitter trolls and basement denizens who harassed her for picking UK to whup the SEC field.

Random kissing isn't nearly as outrageous as picking someone's favorite college team to lose, apparently.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He wants to take it to the rack, baby!

LongTimeListener and JackReacher like this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe it wasn't a great article, but the behavior certainly deserves criticism. It's inappropriate.

And, I suspect cran is right. There's no upside for her if she makes a big deal about it.

Amy likes this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If you have to ask, you've been doing it wrong. You aren't actually supposed to chew on the poor lass.

Draft saved Draft deleted