1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vital mistake by Vitale?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Feb 26, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Talk about overblown .. this is as big a non-story as I've ever heard of. Vitale is in no trouble whatsoever here.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now, it gets blown out of proportion. Not so sure we've progressed.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't really think it's a story, either. Just thought it was funny and interesting.

I think the only serious stories are ones about fantasy sports, you mean old bastard ;D

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

No Hammer, the only serious stories are the ones about YOUR fantasy teams. The rest of it is bullshit.

5. Gee, a flap in Gainesville.
    Anything to break the torpor, I guess.

6. Hammer Pants

Correct.

Did we just have a break through?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There is the potential for this to be a pretty big deal.

I don't mean for this to sound condescending in any way, but because many of you are in print, you don't understand what these "off-the-record" broadcast conversations are about. In the NHL, it is mandated that each team's coach spend 15 minutes with the rightsholders, if requested.

Those conversations are very useful. In one recent instance, a coach declined to reveal his choice of goaltender in a media scrum. I asked about it in private, knowing the game wasn't for another 36 hours. He looked at me and I said, "It won't be public until we go on the air." He then told me, adding it was a sensitive manner.

We kept it quiet, but I knew that there was trouble if it got out.

Coaches tend to let their guards down with guys like Vitale. Obviously, I don't know the specifics of his conversation with Donovan. There is a big difference between media saying Horford has better pro potential than Noah and Donovan making saying it. If that was supposed to be a personal, off-the-record comment -- it is a big deal. I've seen what happens when those trusts are violated. It's not pretty.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

After reviewing the audio a second time, I get the impression that Vitale is just shooting the shit with friends and colleagues. Maybe he does that all the time. It really isn't that big a deal, except for the fact that it got blurted out inadvertently on a rival team's radio station. Oops. Upon further review, it's more embarrassing than damning.

A question for the masses here -- do you ever find yourself telling your non-journalism friends and family members some of the off-the-record stuff you get? Maybe you're trying to big time them or maybe you're just looking for a venue to get this information out. Isn't that the same thing here?

10. Hammer Pants

Yes, it's the same thing. And yes, I do it. I also have nice two-way pipelines with a few booster/superfan guys who don't go to the message boards. It is risky.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can't describe the horror when I first saw that commercial. There's nothing that can brace you for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted