1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visiting Washington D.C. for the first time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fromthebluegrass, Mar 9, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

If you're flying in, make sure it's DCA. And that it's US Airways :)

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Chinatown's pretty cool and they have the country's most Democratic Chinese restaurant in Tony Cheng's, if that's your fetish.

Heard good things about Ben's Chili Bowl, but the neighborhood it's in (Shaw) is still a bit rough. Friend of mine lived there for about a year, got mugged and noted a lot of gang graffiti, and so caveat emperor. But it's still very good chili, from what I've been told.

What was that bar Jonesey went on about?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ben's is on U Street, not in Shaw.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Do all the free stuff and bag the Newseum. There's more than enough to keep you occupied for two days.

5. Mystery Meat II

From the "our history" page on their site:

Ben's is only a few blocks from where my friend lived, and that was definitely Shaw territory.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've never heard it considered Shaw. Heck, U Street is considered its own neighborhood these days. Just south of Columbia Heights, and just north of Logan Circle.

7. Mystery Meat II

From what I've read, it appears U Street is considered the northern edge of Shaw and its commercial hub, though as you point out, some people think of it as its own neighborhood. I helped my friend move there, didn't get a chance to stop and eat there on the way out, and now he's somewhere else in the District.

8. Thanks for the great advice. I have a lot to Google when I get off work tonight so we can try to figure out the best ways around town. I wish we had more time to spend there, but two days is better than nothing. I really appreciate the heads up about the FDR monument. It sounds cool. Is there one for Teddy, too? He's my favorite Roosevelt. We're driving to D.C., but hopefully getting a visitor's parking pass for my friend's street, so we'll be using the Metro around town.

The bad thing about going this time of year is that a lot of school groups are there (from what I gather from my research). It's my fiance's spring break, so this is the best time for us to go.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You can see Teddy here:

http://www.washingtondcpartyshuttle.com/attractions/tr-memorial-island.php

It's very pretty and never crowded. Walking distance from the Lincoln.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a D.C. area native, I can second and third and whatever to all the suggestions to take Metro everywhere you go. Compared to the headaches of trying to drive and avoid speed cameras and find parking, Metro is the way to go.

I also can enthusiastically recommend Ben's Chili Bowl. But if you're in a rush around lunchtime, don't go. I've gone at the very beginning of my lunch break and have walked back to the office as my lunch break was supposed to end, all from standing in line at Ben's.

When I go downtown to play tourist, I usually hit the Air and Space Museum or the American History museum. Then again, I'm a science/science fiction dork and a history nerd. Though I heard today that the Natural History Museum has now supplanted the Air and Space Museum as the most popular in the country. Not only that, but it's only behind the Louvre for the most popular museum in the world.

11. and if you're doing that much metroing, get the day pass. its good anytime after 9 am. it was a little less than eight bucks before the fare hike, and it's worth it.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This guy might be able to show you around.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted