1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visiting NYC-- travel advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jun 28, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm taking a last minute trip to visit my cousin who got a summer internship in NYC.

I'll be staying in Manhattan on 63rd street near 3rd avenue (that's the best I can do, don't know the exact cross streets).

Anyone have any suggestions for bars or other things I should check out while I'm down there?

I've only been to New York one other time and I was five. All I remember was riding the subway and my dad telling me not to look at the bums. In fact, most of our trips involved my dad telling me not to look at the bums.

So aside from avoiding bums, what should I do while in NYC?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, you will be staying by the Subway Inn, which I actually went to with a couple of SportsJournalists.com people once. It is one of my favorite dive bars around, even though it is actually in a nice area (by Bloomingdales). Drinks are cheap and as far as I know, they don't charge you extra for the dirt on the glasses. What always cracks me up about this place is that it gets the saddest drunks on earth. You walk by it at 9 in the morning and all the barstools are filled with the saddest looking people hunched over their drinks. You walk by there at noon, and it's the same scene.

It is a bit scary, but every time I have been in there it was scary in a funny way. But maybe beware. I wanted to check if it is on 60th or 61st street, so I just googled to try to find the address, and I found myself on this page:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/subway-inn-new-york

The first review made me laugh, and it's actually not that surprising for the place:

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Go to Dylan's Candy Bar, 60th/3rd, that should keep you busy for a while. Greatest candy store ever.

You're just a few blocks from the park, just go west, can't miss it.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thanks guys. I hope I see the midget.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Go up to the Amsterdam, around 80th street on the Upper West Side. That's one of my favorite areas in the city and has a bunch of cool pubs where you can get good food and not-so-expensive (at least by NYC standards) drinks. One of my favorite places in the Gin Mill. They have half off all drinks for happy hour Mon-Fri and good burgers/sandwiches.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

P.J. Clarke's, 55th and 3rd. Very comfortable saloon, and have a hamburger, too. Dan Jenkins used to hang out there. It was a "sports bar" when that meant it was favored by people in sports, rather than being a place with 88 televisions showing various sports channels.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ragu can tell you which trains to avoid... [/crossthreading]

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Baker Street at (I believe) 63rd and 1st is a good little bar. Loud though. Piotr and ralphwiggum can vouch for it. Don't make out with any random English soccer fans though. Never ends well.

Or so I've heard.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The East 60s are not exactly the mean streets. But you can see weird shit in even the best neighborhoods. The 60s were always something I usually just passed through en route to someplace else, for some reason. You can find vast arrays of interesting places to eat on Second Ave. from 75th through 86th and from 42nd to about 57th. Just take a walk along either stretch and walk into whatever strikes your fancy. Those neighborhoods are very safe by Manhattan standards if you use common sense.

I've always found the streets of Chinatown and Little Italy unbelieveably foul and a real appetite-killer, so I usually stuck uptown for either cuisine. Pig Heaven was always my fave uptown Chinese place:

http://pigheaven.biz/

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I like this.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Seconded for P.J. Clarke's.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That's our favorite area to hang out as well. Hi Life is a cool place at 83rd and Amsterdam. Flor de Mayo is right up the street, sweet Peruvian/Asian/"best chicken in the city" restaurant that is really easy on the wallet. Across from there Silk Road Palace, Chinese restaurant with free all-you-can drink wine. (a nice place to go if you want to get drunk fairly quickly).

And also in that same area is an ice cream shop, can't remember the name now, that also has really cheap beer. It's sort of a strange combination (and although it wasn't a midget on a leash, I was in there once when a large German Shepherd was just wandering around for 45 minutes, unleashed, unlike the midget), but the ice cream is good and drinks are cheap. It's on the east side of the street.

Draft saved Draft deleted