1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visiting Chicago this spring ... UPDATE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Visiting Chicago this spring ...

Go, have fun in Chicago. Don't worry about the damn pizza, which ain't all that anyway.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Uno's . . . corner of Wabash and Ohio.

Do not let your boring, distressing experience at any of the national chain's outlets discourage you.

This is the ORIGINAL, and the Taj Mahal.

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Here's a question that John may not be dealing with: I can't stand public transportation, mostly because I can get claustrophobic with a hint of motion sickness added in.

So if I'm going up for a day on a Thursday in May (a poet?), and I told you that I didn't care about paying $30 to park in a garage for a day, is that even doable? Are there spots to park, albeit for a nice chunk of coin, downtown?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. Bring more than $30, though.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Yuck.

OK, in that case: What's the closest park and ride station? Would that be a train, bus, etc.?

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Here's the funny thing about travel: By buying early, I got a round-trip ticket to Chicago for $142 -- and that's including taxes -- but as far as getting a hotel room, I'm probably better off waiting until the last minute and getting one of the deals through Expedia or one of the other travel sites.

Strange, and exasperating for someone like me who would likes to have everything lined up as soon as possible.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Personally, while I find the pizza good, I'd much rather have a Chicago dog...

8. longgone

longgone Member

I heartily endorse the river architecture cruise. even if you're not interested in architecture, it's cool. save some time to simply walk around downtown. chicago is my favorite american city, after san francisco.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Last time I stayed downtown was at the Hyatt on Wacker... I also remember a trip to a place for Bondage A-Go-Go night, but it got fuzzy after that...

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Have you got the address for that place? It's for a friend.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think the club was called The Edge... kind of a punk music place with Bird Cage Bank Teller bars in the back. They'd handcuff women to the bars and they'd go-go dance on the countertop.
    The whole night was rather fuzzy, although I did address the evening at a press conference prior to the Big Ten Football meetings that year.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Them's fightin' words.

As for Uno's, it's damn good, but you can get the same pizza in Fort Wayne or any other town that has an Uno's.

Can't go wrong with a Chicago dog. Just don't put ketchup on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted