1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visiting Chicago this spring ... UPDATE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Jan 21, 2008.

1. clarkington

clarkington Member

Re: Visiting Chicago this spring ...

IF you've seen the movie Ghost and the Darkness (the one about the lions tormenting the people trying to build a bridge in Africa), the lions are in the field museum now. I love that movie, so both times I've been there I've checked them out. It's really cool.

2. Re: Visiting Chicago this spring ...

Deep dish is fine, but thin pizza in Chicago is better and much more common. Good call on Home Run Inn, which might just make the best frozen pizza in the biz.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

You didn't say when, but the National Restaurant Show is in May and you'll want to avoid the city like the plague then.
    You won't be able to get a hotel room or eat at any good restaurants to save your soul.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Stay downtown. Lots of choices. The Hilton near Grant park is huge and sometimes has deals on rooms. I'd just do a search of downtown chicago hotels and see what you find.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think I might have posted this in one of the other Chicago threads, but I'll put it here, too.

I'm pretty sure you can get a package deal that gets you into all of the museums (Art Institute, Field, Shedd, the Planet-arium, etc.) but DO NOT try to do all these in one day. You'll end up rushing through each museum and feeling like you cheated yourself out of seeing any of them. If you don't think you can split it up over at least two days, just pick one or two museums and give them the full treatment. For the record, the Field Museum is my favorite, followed closely by Shedd, but they're all great.

As for hotels, I can't offer much on areas to stay in or avoid, but I always like to make sure I'm within two or three blocks of an El stop.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Pfft. New York City is the place to buy thin crust pizza.

And whether deep-dish pizza is for "unsuspecting tourists" or not, it's still damn good pizza. I can't remember where I bought when I was in Chi-town a few years ago (I was pretty drunk when we ordered it), but it was a helluva pie.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Chicago is a serious convention town. Four of the five times I've been there were for book conventions in May and it was next to impossible to get a restaurant reservation at anything halfway decent

I'll second the Art Institute. One of the great gems in all of North America.

I love Chicago--probably because it reminds me of Toronto except Chicago has better architecture.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've only been there once, but here are a couple of tips I enjoyed:

1) The Art Institute is fantastic, but I'm not a connoisseur. If you're not, you probably need a plan of attack like I did. Lonely Planet's Chicago guide has a great one-page tour that leads you to the highlights of the museum. e.g. "Go to Room 49, there's Grant Wood's American Gothic, leave that room and go down the back stairs to Room 14 where you can see blah, blah, blah." I spent an afternoon stretching out that basic guide and gazing at other stuff along the way.

2) Architectural boat tour. Wonderful study of the history of the city's architecture while looking at (mostly) the skyscrapers along the river. Get your tickets early. Not a long excursion, but you'll be wishing it'd go on longer. Very scenic and educational.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Second on the boat tour. Fun and starts/ends right in the middle of everything near the Trib tower.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe this guy will give the tour...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Nope, I second that.
    Great hotel if you're willing to kick the coin: The Fairmont. Still my wife's favorite hotel, ever.
    Fairly convenient to Michigan Avenue, absolutely beautiful place.
    And boo on the person who was dissing TRUE Chicago Pizza, which can be found at Gino's East and for which you will forever be grateful, right up until your bypass.

Draft saved Draft deleted