1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vis a vis Vick, was Mora Sr. right?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 11, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Jim Mora Sr. called Michael Vick a "coach killer" ... Obviously, given the nature of what Vick did to the dogs, the double entendre is unseemly. But what does hindsight show us now about the accuracy of Big Jim's assertion?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If the federal prison starts going through wardens every 6 months, we'll know he was dead on.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Frank Beamer is still kicking ass.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To a certain extent, he's right, but Vick was someone who wasn't keen to being kept in the pocket and there were so many enablers in Atlanta who insulated Vick from being criticized long before the dog kennel flap.

So, the failures of the team laid at Mora Jr.'s doorstep.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd submit that he only had to put up with Michael Vick for two years, and the college game doesn't have the speed all over the field that the NFL has. College coaches can let their QBs run.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I thought Mora Jr. was a bad fit the minute they hired him. I didn't think there was a chance in hell he'd be the guy to figure out how to use Vick (a west coast offense? With Vick? Really?).

That was a coach who was doomed from the start.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Coaches need to adapt to Michael Vick. Michael Vick does not need to adapt to his coach. / William Rhoden

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If coach is some code word for dog, Mora Sr. was right beyond a reasonable doubt.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Solid.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't Mora Jr. win Coach of the Year?

Yeah, his father was dead-on. Mora Jr. wanted to keep Matt Schaub and trade Vick... Right now he looks like a genius...

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sounded more to me like Mora, Sr. making excuses for his son, but I agreed with him about Vick then and I still do. No way Vick was ever going to live up to the hype.

I remember people trying to tell us that Vick's running skills made up for his mediocre abilities as a passer. And there was the even more ridiculous idea that he was going to revolutionize the position. But he was never consistent enough to be an elite NFL quarterback, no matter how many exciting plays he made.

Quarterbacks have to be great passers first. Everything else is gravy. That is why guys like Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer are still the prototype (I leave off Tom Brady simply because he wasn't highly-regarded out of college).

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

One things for sure ... Mora Jr's quote about letting Vick babysit his kids is funnier every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted