1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virus?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by digger, Feb 28, 2008.

1. digger

digger New Member

Anybody else have AVG antivirus? I think it nearly killed my computer. I was on tech support with my server company for over an hour, he couldn't fix it. (It wasn't reading DNS? and every time I reset it to always read dns, it would go back to not reading it.) based on what the tech guy said, dns is something that allows your browser to go to the website you type in - say sportsjournalists.com) without typing in the ip numbers. (the computer was working when I typed in the ip numbers for google - but who knows the ip numbers for all the sites they want?)

He couldn't figure it out, said it must have been in an update to my computer today, and avg is the only thing I have that updates.

The tech guy's last ditch advice to me (aside from going back to the computer store to see if they could fix it) was to reset my computer to a past date. I did that a couple times, and each time it almost worked. But then the avg would update, and bam, there it went again.

I really don't know much about all this, I'm not great with computers, but it definitely seems like the avg did it.
    So I uninstalled the avg, and reset the computer to a past date again, and viola! it's working again. (knock on wood).

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

OBP is more meaningful than avg. That's all I got.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

avast.com gives you free antivirus (you've got to register it, but it's free) if you're in the market.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Buy Apple next time.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The question here is why are you certain AVG is causing the problem (which seems there is a legitimate reason for suspecting it) and how to solve it.

I've put AVG on countless computers over the years, I've used it for 11 years or so with no problems whatsoever. I've never had one person come back to me and complain about AVG. I have a friend who owns a computer shop (he knows his stuff) and AVG is what he installs on computers as well.

In your situation, I would suspect there is something more going on than just 'AVG is ruining my computer!' Do you have anti-spyware programs installed -- updated and using them on a regular basis? Your problem sounds like you have some sort of malware which is causing AVG to puke. You need to do a complete spyware cleaning on your computer.

Also keep in mind, tech guys at ISPs don't always know how to handle spyware problems.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I used to use AVG — when I was still using Windows, that is.

Now? I just recommend Fedora. Or Ubuntu. Or CentOS. Or Mint. Or Debian. Yeah, they're all Linux. I think that OS is finally ready for primetime.

No virii. No adware. No spyware. Uses less memory and has a smaller hard drive footprint, yet does as much as Vista does if not more. Runs most Windows programs (including games, and I've read reports that Quark 7 runs as well) in an emulation layer with no noticeable lag. Can be tough to config but no more than, say, Windows For Workgroups (Windows 3.1 with network support) was.

Wuck Findows.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So you don't do Windows, 2mcm? :D

Me neither.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You're saying the current avatar is <i>not</i> an absolute giveaway? ;D

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just tried to get my AVG to update and it said the connection with their server failed.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Same problem for me, too.

11. Are you guys using the free version of AVG or the AVG Professional version? I ask because I run the professional version and haven't had any problems.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My free AVG updated fine about an hour ago when I logged on. Never had a problem with AVG.

But I want to know what Frank Viola has to do with the guy's computer working again.

Draft saved Draft deleted