1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virus could change sportswriting forever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Mar 11, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's like 75 miles south of the bridge.

The best goddamn burger I ever ate was when I was 7-8 years old and our family stopped at a two table greasy spoon roadside diner at the loading point for the ferry to Drummond Island.

Perfectly grilled, bun toasted but still chewy, sautéed onions, golden Swiss cheese melted and dribbling down the sides. Goddamn, 55 years later I can still taste it.

My dad and I drove through there 30 years after that. The two table greasy spoon was long gone. "You wanted a cheeseburger, didn't you," my dad said. "So did I."

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There was a fish and chips place on Grand River called "Bet 'n Jessie's" that was a must-visit every time we saw the grandparents in Detroit. The food was good, but the sesame seed rolls were unbelievable. The place has been gone for 40 years, but my cousins and I can describe the aroma, texture and taste of those rolls to this day.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know but it you are on your way north and hungry, it's worth the trip off the interstate. Been a few years since I was there but another thing i remember was they had two sections: smoking and chain smoking.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Before everywhere went smoke-free, I used to answer the question, "smoking or non-smoking?" by saying, Where's the chain smoking section?

I don't even smoke.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dad jokes before it was a thing.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Day 6 of no sports. Currently watching birds fight over worms.
    Cardinals lead Blue Jays 3-1.

*I saw that in a meme, but the image was too big.

garrow likes this.
  8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The video of the sock puppet eating cars is pretty good as well.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Detroit News is running profiles of the sportswriters
    I KNOW these people and I’m not reading them

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I was there last summer and the Grand Hotel charged $10 if you wanted to walk inside
    I declined and later, at a gift shop, I snapped a picture of the Jane Seymour picture in Somewhere in Time

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted