1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginian-Pilot redesign

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by Mystery_Meat, Jun 7, 2007.

1. True about the grid-wide rail on the sports front, but compare it to the left side of the front page. That guy on the left is a columnist but they only gave him a grid. How can you run a whole story on a grid? Plus now they're columnists should be called gridists.

2. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

My initial thought: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much white space

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Agree on the white space. What's the point? The fonts are brutal. A completely lame effort.

4. Wow, I didn't even notice that at first. Looks like that "columnist" got about 100 words into his space this week. Nice.

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I thought the guy on the cover is the editor, not a regular columnist. It seems like he has been using that small space to introduce the redesign.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And what about that freakin' huge ad on the sports front? What was that, a 6 x 2 1/2 or 6 x 3?

7. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I was just as boggled by the two column house ad on Page 7.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

People here bashed the LAT redesign, too, but from what I can see the LAT has gradually moved back to looking more like the LAT. Which is what usually happens anywhere.

Do I like this? No, I do not. But I also know that the Norfolk people are pretty sophisticated visually and that this probably isn't how it'll look for all eternity. For good or ill, they did a lot of creative things on their covers and it's hard to repress that for very long. I predict some backsliding after a couple of months to a bit more elegance.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

From previous experience, most redesigns focus on the features section.
    And I like the features front.
    As far as the others fronts go, they took features thinking and applied it to the other sections.
    The Oregonian used to run a rail called the Edge on its features front. It looks like that is what Sports is doing.
    And I think as you see more people in the newsroom, who have design degrees, you'll see more and more unconventional designs. Some could argue that what we are really seeing is a return to a style of design that was popular decades ago. And I argue that Tim Harrower's modular approach was the death knell of good design. It meant that newspapers now lack a distinctive feel since they all look alike.
    It's just different, and that isn't always the worst thing in the world.

10. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

Not for The Pilot. I actually think this is less than the usually use.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is what Landmark blew all that money on? Should've saved a couple jobs in Greensboro instead.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No, they spend the money to add the word "readelicious" to the dictionary. The dictionary of SUCK, that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted