1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginian-Pilot layoffs coming

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by big green wahoo, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Good post, meat. It's great you are proud of the product and the people you worked with.
    Best wishes to you. Excellent post. It definitely let me know something about the product, the people you worked with and the fact you are a good person.
    Hang in there!

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes. good luck, meat.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Meat,

Thank you for that. Just hearing about SOMEONE who had found that nirvana, no matter how short-lived, makes me see a light. Maybe someone else can find that again, and make it work longer-term.

Good luck.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Great post, Meat. This really sucks. A lot of good people I know have lost their jobs in the last week, and you're one of the best. Hope you take the next couple of weeks and look for something that opens up a great new chapter in your life.

5. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Hey man.

So sorry to hear about your predicament. I sometimes wonder if i were to get laid off, whether it might eventually be one of the best things to happen to me. You know, save me the trouble of getting too old to start another line of work before I was out on my ass without a pension or any savings...

But I love what I do. I know that you do to.

I hope that at some point in the future, you somehow are able to look at this experience as a very good turning point in your life.

Best of luck dude.

P.S. - The Yanceyville Desolation are terribly mismanaged. ;)

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I play to my surroundings, dude. Never should have left the sweet, sweet confines of Tightsqueeze and the Golden Skillet. Fried foods of champions.

7. This is awful. Sounds like you had something pretty damn special there, meat.

best of luck

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Meat-

Everything happens for a reason. Talent will out. Better days ahead.

gm

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

God be with you Mystery Meat. I have a feeling everything is going to work out fine for you.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Good stuff there, and good luck moving forward. I was recruited for a start-up a few years ago trying something similar but, despite knowing several people in the mix, decided to take a more old-school tack. The product since has folded.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I always enjoy your posts, Meat. He're hoping you land on your feet in this, or a more grateful (and better paying) business.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Damn. Hate to hear the news, MM, though with the considerable wit and wisdom you display here, I've no doubt you'll land on your feet. Best wishes.

Draft saved Draft deleted